Man caught in Barrow in possession of 30,000 tablets
Last updated at 15:12, Wednesday, 19 March 2014
A MAN was given a suspended prison sentence after being caught in Barrow in possession of 30,000 tablets.
William Chumley was spotted acting suspiciously by a security guard at Tesco in Barrow, on April 24 2012.
Mr Wayne Jackson, prosecuting, at Preston Crown Court yesterday, said the guard thought the defendant was drunk. He and a female got into a vehicle and the police were called. Police found a large number of blue pills, and a home-made crack pipe that had traces of cocaine on it.
Chumley was taken to Barrow Police Station and a search was carried out. Police discovered cannabis and more pills.
Mr Jackson said the tablets were phenazepam, which was not a controlled drug at that stage. The defendant said he believed they were valium. Chumley was bailed, but in May police saw the same car on Plymouth Street, Walney. They found 16 phenazepam tablets on him, and a further 8,000 tablets was discovered where he had been staying.
Chumley pleaded guilty to two offences of attempting to possess drugs with intent to supply, possessing cocaine and cannabis, driving while unfit and not having a driving licence or insurance.
The 38-year-old of Sunningdale Road, Urmston, Manchester was given a 12-month prison sentence, suspended for two years, and was banned from driving for a year.
First published at 15:08, Wednesday, 19 March 2014
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
A suspended entrance is sending out a great message. It says the public don't mind you breaking the law and supplying to our kids as long as your Okay.
Make your comment
- Pete Wilson - spare us the Ashes sledging
- Crarey hails Raiders' defensive qualities
- Edmo thrilled Simon remains part of his Grand Barrow plan
- Winger exits Barrow AFC
- Askam ace Jake fulfils England goal
- Treasured Barrow booklets returned......45 years later
- Barrow Raiders show true grit to defeat Newcastle Thunder
- Millom CC blow leaders Dalton away
- Barrow CC pro is star with bat and ball
- Barrow Raiders score thrilling win over Newcastle Thunder - with video highlights (3 comments)