Man caught in Barrow in possession of 30,000 tablets
Last updated at 15:12, Wednesday, 19 March 2014
A MAN was given a suspended prison sentence after being caught in Barrow in possession of 30,000 tablets.
William Chumley was spotted acting suspiciously by a security guard at Tesco in Barrow, on April 24 2012.
Mr Wayne Jackson, prosecuting, at Preston Crown Court yesterday, said the guard thought the defendant was drunk. He and a female got into a vehicle and the police were called. Police found a large number of blue pills, and a home-made crack pipe that had traces of cocaine on it.
Chumley was taken to Barrow Police Station and a search was carried out. Police discovered cannabis and more pills.
Mr Jackson said the tablets were phenazepam, which was not a controlled drug at that stage. The defendant said he believed they were valium. Chumley was bailed, but in May police saw the same car on Plymouth Street, Walney. They found 16 phenazepam tablets on him, and a further 8,000 tablets was discovered where he had been staying.
Chumley pleaded guilty to two offences of attempting to possess drugs with intent to supply, possessing cocaine and cannabis, driving while unfit and not having a driving licence or insurance.
The 38-year-old of Sunningdale Road, Urmston, Manchester was given a 12-month prison sentence, suspended for two years, and was banned from driving for a year.
First published at 15:08, Wednesday, 19 March 2014
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
A suspended entrance is sending out a great message. It says the public don't mind you breaking the law and supplying to our kids as long as your Okay.
Make your comment
- Facebook friends rally round to give Barrow dog life-saving surgery
- Barrow pharmacist is first to prescribe drugs without the doctor
- Heart of Ulverston nomination form
- Rugby player, 15, suffers neck injury at Millom game
- Woman sought in Barrow shoplifting investigation
- Ulverston toilet debate continues
- Barrow hospital chef to appear on TV with celebrity chef James Martin
- Lake District artist’s portrait of the Queen pressed onto new coins
- Barrow street attacks surge sparks police alert (2 comments)
- Archbishop of York John Sentamu to visit Barrow
- Crarey blasts 'schoolboy' Barrow Raiders (1 comment)
- Edmo calls for one final push with Barrow AFC on brink of title
- Fleetwood fly to Barrow win:with picture gallery
- Askam edge thriller:with picture gallery
- Trophy triumph for Vickerstown (1 comment)
- Ormsgill beat Millom to reach final:with picture gallery
- Barrow AFC edge closer to title glory:with picture gallery (20 comments)
- Rochdale run riot against Barrow Raiders:with picture gallery
- Barrow cricketer smashes world record (2 comments)
- REMEMBER WHEN: The Woolveridge brothers bossed Furness RL
- Familiar call for more health service money
- WEDDING ALBUM: Kirsty Haddock and Ryan Brown
- FOOD REVIEW: Storrs Hall On The Lake, Windermere
- Guitar smashers made a big noise at old Public Hall
- Searching for story of plate
- A £20 car boot find is sold for £7,000
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Greek island Lefkas
- Customer service? Never heard of it! (2 comments)
- Camilla bashing is right royal nonsense
- Town’s 13 butchers and a soap maker