Making it easier for the family
Last updated at 14:15, Tuesday, 29 May 2012
Q My dad has recently gone into care. Is there anything that my mum needs to do about her own Will?
A Yes. It is very important that your mum has a look at her own financial arrangements.
It may well be that she and your dad made Wills years ago, leaving everything to each other and then to their children after they have both died.
If she has done this, and then she dies first, all of your mum’s assets will go to your dad and may be swallowed up in his care fees.
If she and your dad have not made Wills and your mum dies first, the chances are that her assets will pass straight to your dad, and the same could happen.
All of the children's inheritance could go on payment of care fees.
Although it is too late for your dad to do anything to protect his assets, there is a lot that your mum could do to safeguard at least some of the family assets.
She should do this as soon as possible, and make an appointment to see a solicitor.
Q Is there anything else that she could do to make things easier for the family?
A If your mum has not already set up a Power of Attorney, this would be a sensible thing to do.
Even if it is too late for your dad to appoint an attorney, your mum would probably feel happier knowing that the she has set something up so that someone she trusts can look after her own financial affairs if she becomes less able to do so herself in the future.
If she does nothing and then loses capacity herself, there would be no one with authority to look after either of your parent's finances and you would need to make an application to the Court of Protection, which can take a long time and be very expensive.
At Poole Townsend we have a team of experts who can help your mother with practical advice and support.
The first interview is free and we would give her a fixed price for sorting things out before we start work.
For a free appointment without obligation telephone Michelle on (01229) 402229 or Jane on (01229) 402243.
Like us on Facebook. Follow us on Twitter. Visit www.pooletownsend.co.uk/targetspouse
First published at 13:12, Tuesday, 29 May 2012
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
- Barrow MP among 19 to have had parliamentary credit card suspended
- UPDATE: Four arrested in Windermere murder investigation
- Car ends up on its side in Ulverston crash
- Man stabbed in leg during Cumbria assault
- Cumbria weather warnings on 'hottest day of the year'
- A590 path repair project announced (1 comment)
- Generous family brings cheer to Barrow school targetted by vandals
- Organisations will be Hitting the Headlines after training event
- Day of personal triumphs and achievements at Energy for Life Walney Family Fun Run
- Well done to all who took part in the Energy for Life Walney Family Fun Run
- Barrow Raiders hoping to roar in Lion's den
- Half-term report - foundations in place for Barrow Raiders success (1 comment)
- Barrow boxing coach out to prove he's a charity warrior
- Dalton RL prospect leads Italian job
- Barrow AFC line up keeper deal
- Pete Wilson - spare us the Ashes sledging
- Crarey hails Raiders' defensive qualities
- Edmo thrilled Simon remains part of his Grand Barrow plan (1 comment)
- Winger exits Barrow AFC
- Askam ace Jake fulfils England goal
- Boxing Star to inspire females in Barrow through Olympic and Paralympic legacy project
- WEDDING ALBUM: Sharna Forsyth and James Tyson
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Venice
- FOOD REVIEW: Punchbowl, Crosthwaite
- Time to forge better deal within the EU
- FOOD REVIEW: The Crown, North Scale, Walney
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Bali
- Toddler fights back from heart surgery
- Garden no safe place for birds
- WEDDING ALBUM: Gemma Jones and Craig Brown
Visit our websites for...
- Barrow football fan banned after shouting abuse (1 comment)
- Cumbria rail provider: Hamster, false teeth and Barry Manilow CD among lost items (1 comment)
- Barrovian's World Cup brace helps England smash Japan
- 'Unacceptable' 100-mile round journeys for Barrow disability assessments (1 comment)
- Enjoy the sun: Best beaches in south Cumbria (1 comment)
F. Dickinson footwear
Homes and gardens 22
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|