Less than 150 people comment on Copeland cuts
Last updated at 15:37, Sunday, 25 November 2012
FEWER than 150 people have so far responded to a consultation about the biggest budget cuts in Copeland in decades.
Millom residents are being urged to have their say in a bid to protect funds for services as Copeland Borough Council has announced plans for cuts amounting to £2.6m.
The proposals include closing Whitehaven Civic Hall, removing car parks in Lancashire Road, Millom, as well as ones at Haverigg and Bootle from its care, and cutting grants for Millom Park and toilets in St George’s Road.
Councillors fear some residents may not respond due to major cuts being Whitehaven based but have urged residents to make their voices heard.
It is believed so far around 130 formal responses have been issued to the council, despite widespread criticism of the cuts.
Councillor Reg Heathcote, a member of Millom Town Council and Copeland Borough Council, said: “I would urge everybody to put their view forward.
“The cuts are going to affect everybody in the future so the more people that give their views, the better.
“There will be little funding in the future.
“It’s like if you do not vote, you can’t criticise.
“People must take part.”
Also among Copeland’s cuts was a reduction in grass cutting and scrapping of flower bedding on borough-owned green spaces, including the area by Millom Palladium.
Councillor Ray Cole, a member of Cumbria County Council and Millom Town Council, said: “This will impact on the smaller areas and on Millom.
“I understand the reasoning behind it but my concern is that it will impact on Millom.
“We want to keep what we have but how will we pay for it?
“Do people want grass cutting once a year around the cenotaph or three, four or five times?
“My thought is that you stop maintaining it the place will start to look run down, it is a downward spiral.
“What are the priorities?”
Cllr Cole said the important thing was for the council to act on behalf of residents – rather than themselves.
Drop-in sessions are ongoing and residents are being urged to attend.
Copeland Borough Council Leader, Councillor Elaine Woodburn said: “I would encourage as many people as possible to come along to these sessions and give us their views.
“Whilst a number of people have already responded to the consultation, we know that many more people will have an opinion.
“Please do take the time to give us this, so that the difficult decisions we have to take because of government cuts are based on your views.”
The next session takes place in the Guide hall in St George’s Road, Millom, on Tuesday from 2pm to 4pm.
First published at 13:16, Sunday, 25 November 2012
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Not that you will use the information found at this link today but perhaps a quiet investigation will put the Mail in the right place if and when the story breaks nationally?http://www.spectator.co.uk/features/8766481/the-great-british-wind-scam/
So why not just say 'about 130 people have responded'?
The fewer than 150 headline is ludicrous.