Learning bots make a buzz in Millom
Last updated at 16:37, Thursday, 14 February 2013
WHILE still some way off taking part in TV’s Robot Wars, these Millom youngsters have been getting to grips with mechanised movement.
By tapping instructions into the robots, children at St James’ Catholic Primary School in Lonsdale Road learned how to control the Bee Bots’ movement.
More than 50 children, from the school’s reception and Year 1 classes, enjoyed the robo programming workshop last week.
Danielle Carter, Year One teacher, said: “The idea of the workshop was to develop the children’s position, direction and movement skills by making the robot move to different places around the room.
“They also had maps and had to follow instructions and make the robots navigate around a map.”
Using either the bee-style robot or the more industrial looking ‘Constructor Bot’, the youngsters enjoyed a day of completing navigational tasks.
Miss Carter added: “The children loved it. After the half-term holiday we’re looking at different toys and forces so it’s led quite nicely into that.”
First published at 16:17, Thursday, 14 February 2013
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
- Email us
- Send us your pictures
- Send us your news
- Send us your views
- Staff contacts
- Advertise with us
- Family Notices
- Reader Travel
- Competition rules
- CN Letterbox
- Find It in Furness
- CV Link
- Online shop
- CN Research
- Eye Care Savings
- Halifax loans
Visit our websites for...
- Tributes paid to Barrow father of twins killed in collision on main road (4 comments)
- Carlisle woman punched man she was about to have sex with
- Woman fined for being drunk in charge of children in Barrow supermarket
- Barrow teen gives no indication of plea for assault on two women
- Hundreds attend funeral of inspiring Barrow PE teacher (3 comments)
- Uproar at Barrow service charge hikes vote (3 comments)
- New Ulverston group may take charge of town car parks (8 comments)
- Barrow man jailed for animal cruelty (22 comments)
- Barrow duo in court over cemetery shooting (11 comments)
- Barrow dad killed in Cumbria crash named (12 comments)
- Sellafield deer cull plans are branded ‘absurd’ (7 comments)
- Immigrant stole whisky worth £1,080 from Barrow store (6 comments)
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|