Lawyers to demand tougher sentence for Millom double axe killer
Last updated at 16:34, Friday, 18 April 2014
PROSECUTORS are planning to launch a bid to increase the sentence of a Millom killer who axed his mother and sister to death.
John Jenkin, 24, killed his mother Alice McMeekin and sister Katie Jenkin, at their Newton Street home, in Millom, on June 8 last year.
Jenkin was sentenced to life imprisonment with a minimum 12- year hospital order on March 28 but the sentence was cut at a sentence review hearing in Preston Crown Court on April 3 to a minimum six-year term.
Now, the Crown Prosecution Service has confirmed it is in the process of referring the case for review, due to what prosecutors have branded an “unduly lenient sentence”.
A spokeswoman for the CPS said: “I can confirm that the Crown Prosecution Service is in the process of referring the case against John Jenkin to the attorney general for consideration of an unduly lenient sentence reference to the Court of Appeal Criminal Division.”
Should the case be accepted it will be held at the Court of Appeal, in London. The CPS hopes to increase Jenkin’s sentence reducing his chances of being released to jail.
Under the terms of the existing sentence, Jenkin could be released to prison after six years if psychiatrists at the secure Ashworth Hospital in Merseyside, approve the move.
Jenkin was originally charged with murder following the double killing but guilty pleas for manslaughter on the grounds of diminished responsibility were accepted by the prosecution.
After the attack, he attempted to have sex with the body of his sister before being disturbed by the family dog, Fenn, which he killed before walking to Millom Pier where he told police he had planned to swim from Millom to Barrow to “get help” from his friends.
When he was found by police he had a plastic tube in his rear end and was in a confused state.
Police said he used a hatchet kept by his bed to carry out the attack and he returned the weapon to his bedroom following the killings.
A date for the hearing is yet to be confirmed.
First published at 16:08, Friday, 18 April 2014
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
- Around 60 DIY stores to shut in shake up
- Forgiveness sought by ‘ashamed’ Barrow thief
- Police scour CCTV footage in bid to find Barrow town centre assault suspect (3 comments)
- Isolation and a ‘hidden hungry’ are key issues
- Ulverston mural to screen icon vandalised
- Big swing would be required for red Barrow seat to change colour (1 comment)
- More than 120 Cumbria and Lancashire jobs at risk
- Cumbria rescuers called to 69-year-old man stuck on mountain (1 comment)
- Warning of traders selling mattresses door to door in Barrow
- Five parents faced ‘home alone’ probe in Cumbria
- Edmo: Barrow AFC can handle the pressure
- Edgy Barrow AFC draw a blank against Bradford Park Avenue (5 comments)
- Walney Central move to top of table after home win
- Barrow boxer Liam has to settle for a draw
- Late goal sees Kirkby United book place in trophy final
- Edgy Barrow AFC draw a blank against gutsy Bradford
- Edmo urges Barrow AFC fans to raise the volume (1 comment)
- Loan ace in line to earn permanent Barrow AFC switch
- Casson confident over Barrow AFC title bid
- Wilson hails Barrow AFC squad strength
Visit our websites for...
Great Daffodil appeal 2015
Homes and gardens 21
Power to switch
Walk to remember
Choosing a secondary school
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|