TV crew visits Coniston copper mines
Published at 12:51, Monday, 30 July 2012
CONISTON’S historic copper mines are set to feature in an episode of a popular Channel 4 programme early next year.
The Time Team crew – including effervescent presenter Tony Robinson – was in the village filming for three days last week.
The team of expert archaeologists, landscapers and surveyors were in Coniston to excavate around the sites of the Levers Water and Cobblers Level mines.
Their brief was to establish whether documentary evidence of copper mining dating back to the Elizabethan period of the 16th century could be supported by artefacts in the ground.
Heavy fog, a little rain and the mountainous terrain made life extremely difficult for the show’s 40-odd person crew.
But series producer Sian Price said the expedition uncovered some interesting discoveries that would make for good viewing when the new series aired in January.
“The weather wasn’t too kind to us and it was one of the more difficult ones logistically because we were excavating in the mountains,” she said.
“So the biggest challenge, in a way, was getting teams of people and all the equipment up and down the mountainside.”
Mountaineer Ian Matheson was one of the members from the Cumbria Amenity Trust Mining History Society who assisted the visitors during their stay.
He said that the society was delighted to have the team come and add to the local knowledge of the mine sites.
“It is has a long history of mining, at least back to the Elizabethan period, but it is suspected that copper was mined there much earlier than that – maybe even back to the Bronze Age,” he said.
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
- PHOTOS & VIDEOS: Charity walk to raise money for Ulverston hospice
- Success brewing as Hardknott signs prestigious high street deal
- £7,500 pledge to help make Millom ‘danger’ park fit for purpose
- Hundreds lap up Millom Infant School summer entertainment
- Millom Post Office will be closed for up to three weeks during revamp
- Residents of flood-risk Millom set to get emergency plan
- Warning to DIY rat killers in South Cumbria
- PHOTOS: Festival atmosphere marks end of busy year for Barrow college (1 comment)
- Call for CCTV cameras to be installed in Dalton
- Families’ plight as Barrow Foodbank sees numbers soar by a third (4 comments)
- Barrow Raiders show true grit to defeat Newcastle Thunder
- Millom CC blow leaders Dalton away
- Barrow CC pro is star with bat and ball
- Barrow Raiders score thrilling win over Newcastle Thunder - with video highlights (3 comments)
- Wins for Askam and Millom in National Conference
- RAIDERS REVIEW: Time for Barrow Raiders to step it up
- RAIDERS REVIEW: Time to silence Thunder
- Barrow Raiders score thrilling win over Newcastle Thunder
- Moffatt's Royal day at Cartmel: with picture gallery
- Barrow Raiders told to steal Newcastle's Thunder
- WEDDING ALBUM: Sharna Forsyth and James Tyson
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Venice
- FOOD REVIEW: Punchbowl, Crosthwaite
- Time to forge better deal within the EU
- FOOD REVIEW: The Crown, North Scale, Walney
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Bali
- Toddler fights back from heart surgery
- Garden no safe place for birds
- WEDDING ALBUM: Gemma Jones and Craig Brown
- Let’s unite and take on fight together