South Lakes MP calls on government to reinstate flood defence money
Last updated at 14:17, Monday, 06 August 2012
SOUTH Lakes MP Tim Farron has called on the government to agree that ‘indicative’ funding made available for a Kendal flood defence scheme is still there, after a Guardian report alleged that money which had been promised to build flood defences on the River Kent has been withdrawn.
Documents obtained by the Guardian’s Environmental Editor Damien Carrington show that in 2010 the Environmental Agency had allotted £325,000 to spend on building up flood defences on the River Kent in Kendal between 2011/2012. The report show the project was due to start 2013/10, but was then not mentioned in 2011-12.
The report goes on to state that the project is ‘not funded’ in 2012/13, but has indicative funding from 2013/14. The document says that: ‘Confirmation of funding and timing will depend upon the development of outcomes, costs and partnership arrangements, considered in the context of national prioritisation.’
Tim has called for assurances from the Environment Agency and the Government that the project is still on track for 2013/14.
Cumbria has been hit by floods in 2009 and in 2012, but some local residents have been hit by flooding more often than that. Recently, Tim held a flooding meeting at Hallgarth Community Centre with local councillors John McCreesh and Rob Boden to talk about the recent floods and to create a flood action plan.
Tim has consistently asked questions in Parliament about the state of flood readiness and funding allotted to flood defence schemes in our county. Flood defence schemes have been built in Carlisle, Cockermouth and other flood hit areas. Tim is asking why the funds were pulled from the Kendal scheme.
Commenting, Tim said: “This is affecting people’s livelihoods and it is important that it gets sorted. We can’t keep finding ourselves in these situations each time it rains. I want to help our local residents to combat the problems caused by flooding, no matter what it takes. I want to know why the Environment Agency appears to have removed funding from Kendal.”
First published at 14:15, Monday, 06 August 2012
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Mr Farron It is your government that should be providing the money. If you are so dissatisfied with it stop supporting it.
Make your comment
- Vagabonds wander on the road to fame
- Injured storyteller Gary battles on
- The show must go on
- Vagabonds invited back to entertain hotel guests
- Celebrity status for duo as epic journey continues
- Dynamic duo smiling all the way
- Vagabonding launches
- Darling Dolly - how the Vagabonds constructed their traveling puppet booth
- Phill Gregg’s blog
- Gary Bridgens' blog
- Click here to view the Vagabonds slideshow