Open water swimming safety
OPEN water such as the sea and lakes can be both an enjoyable and fun experience.
However, knowledge and understanding of the unforeseen and hidden hazards is a must.
All of the following can be hazards when swimming in open water:
Conditions when swimming in open water constantly change. Here are some tips to ensure you stay safe.
1. Always look for warning and guidance signs.
2. Check the tidal activity when at the cost.
3. Take guidance from the lifeguards about the safest areas to enter the water, indicated by coloured flags.
4. Swim parallel with the shore (not away from it) in standing depth water.
5. Get out of the water as soon as you start to feel cold.