Lake District celebrates becoming first Fairtrade national park zone
Last updated at 08:40, Thursday, 27 February 2014
THE Lake District – the world’s first Fairtrade national park zone - has taken a lead in highlighting the Fairtrade movement.
As a precursor to the Fairtrade Fortnight, which takes place between February 24 and March 9, the Lake District Visitor Centre at Brockhole hosted a special event on Saturday aimed at showcasing its commitment to the cause.
Locals and visitors were taken on a treasure hunt where clues helped develop an understanding of Fairtrade and revealed how the centre supports its products and ethos across the board.
Head of the Lake District’s Local and Fair steering committee Martin Sleath explained it was a perfect opportunity to share the movement’s work and encourage others to follow suit.
He said: “From food in our café to chocolate and sweets in the shop, our goal is to support our resident food and farming producers, and Fairtrade for all non-local products.
“Sharing what we think and do is a crucial part of the exercise and the aim is to persuade others to be more sustainable and ethical in their shopping and eating habits.
“It’s heartening to see the steady growth in interest, helped by lots of these small events. Behind initiatives like our quiz and hamper draw we have seen Fairtrade go from a minority interest to a brand trusted by 89 per cent of the UK population.”
For more information on how the Lake District supports Fairtrade go to www.lakedistrict.gov.uk/caringfor/projects/fairtrade
First published at 10:41, Wednesday, 26 February 2014
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
Visit our websites for...
- Ulverston gridlock driver prosecuted (58 comments)
- Barrow workers wait to hear about Tesco closures (23 comments)
- Barrow shipyard workers face ballot on seven-day week pay deal (41 comments)
- Car and motorbike crash on A590 between Lindal and Dalton
- Full story - 150 jobs to be axed at Barrow factory (9 comments)
- Barrow MP challenges ‘eccentric’ Russell to Trident showdown (34 comments)
- Angry Barrow families protest against minibus charges for nurseries (15 comments)
- Pub giant responds to empty Walney building alert (3 comments)
- Dalton zoo boss to learn of licence fate today (4 comments)
- Meeting to determine "suitability" of Dalton zoo boss taking place today (3 comments)
Post 16 education
A new year - a new you
Light up a life
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|