Keswick to Barrow 2012 - Jill set out to prove all doubters wrong
Last updated at 15:09, Monday, 26 November 2012
WHEN a colleague declared that women would be incapable of completing the Keswick to Barrow, it was all the incentive Jill Thompson needed.
“That was it, red rag to a bull!” says Jill, of Barrow.
Two decades later, the 72-year-old continues to defy her age – and male chauvinists – by running the Keswick to Barrow every year.
And that’s on the back of running the London Marathon.
Super fit Jill, who only took up running in her late 30s, said: “I think the training for one is good for the other, but without a doubt, the Keswick to Barrow is harder – both physically and mentally.
“The marathon is different because so many people enter it, but the gradients in the Keswick to Barrow, and the length of it.”
Undeterred, Jill has completed the event 20 times and received an engraved china plate in recognition of her efforts.
She has been on the podium previously for being the first woman home, finishing in under six hours.
Jill also runs the Liverpool Marathon in October and rounds off her year’s events with Ulverston’s 10km Christmas Pudding run.
If you don’t know Jill personally, the chances are you will have seen her running around Barrow and the surrounding villages.
She trains all year but begins to increase her mileage in the new year.
“I always start to step it up by doing at least one decent, long run, before the end of the year. Then I build it up for 16 weeks,” she said.
Before retiring Jill was head of radiation, physics and shielding at the shipyard and is a member with team SEDDASA, from the naval architects department.
When asked if she’s inspired anybody by her endeavours she responded: “I’d like to think so.
“I have an extremely good, close friend who was a far better runner than I was and has run the marathon with me. She developed cancer and she’s had a struggle getting back. But she comes out with me now, and she’s a little bit nervous about pushing herself, but I like to think she and I enjoy getting out in the countryside and building her confidence.”
First published at 16:51, Friday, 23 November 2012
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Admire you Jill,wish you well on the day.
Make your comment
- WITH VIDEO: Barrow man jailed today for allowing two dogs to savage a sheep while pal filmed it
- All action from the Evening Mail’s poll vaults
- Walney pupils rally round to tackle grot spot
- Barrow Sea Cadets launch litter mission
- Barrow mum will tackle 40-mile walk to remember her one-year-old (2 comments)
- Child vandals hurl object at Barrow bus
- Millom boy's rare illness progress
- Legal high clampdown at Cumbria festival (2 comments)
- Barrow Sister Act performers show why they’re second to nun
- Evening Mail readers highlight their most important policy areas in online poll
- Barrow Raiders boss pays tribute to Danny Jones
- Haworth wants Barrow AFC deal
- Hero Declan does the trick for Cents
- Rhiann earns GB call-up as Duddon paddlers shine
- Barrow social club pockets snooker tables from mystery man
- Barrow school make netball history
- Hawcoat claim bowling bragging rights
- Seasons to be cheerful for Furness footballers
- Big money Barrow snooker comp returns
- Lacey keen to taste Conference life with Barrow AFC (1 comment)