Jail for drunk Barrow man who injured officer
Published at 11:53, Tuesday, 11 March 2014
A FATHER of four has been jailed after drunkenly demanding to see his children and assaulting a police officer.
Daniel John Bower, of Maple Street, Barrow, was sentenced to two months’ imprisonment at Barrow Crown Court yesterday.
Bower, 34, pleaded guilty to threatening to damage the door at the home of his ex-wife Zoe Bower, assaulting Sergeant Gareth Sargent and using words to cause alarm, on November 30.
The court heard Bower was drinking at the home of his partner, who lives next door to his ex-wife in Harrison Street, Barrow, on November 29.
Mr Richard Archer, prosecuting, said: “At about 10pm Mrs Bower returned home with her children and she could hear a noise coming from the neighbour’s house. She could hear a voice which she recognised to be her ex-husband and her children could not get to sleep.
“She informed the police, but by the time police arrived it was about 1.45am and the noise had quietened down.”
After police left, Bower appeared in the street with a can of beer in his hand. The court was told Bower had drunk around 12 cans that evening.
Mr Archer told the court Bower committed the offences while serving a community order for assaulting a police officer in November 2012.
He told the court Bower had urinated on flower pots and the front door of his ex-wife.
Police arrived and attempted to arrest Bower but during the struggle Bower kicked Sgt Sargent in the arm.
Mr Andrew Scott, defending, said: “There is an ongoing dispute with his ex-partner and the situation became inflamed.
“I in no way justify his actions.”
Recorder Mr John Benson QC sentenced Bower to two months in jail for assaulting Sgt Sargent, and one month for threatening criminal damage, to be served concurrently. There was no additional penalty for the charge of threatening behaviour.
He was ordered to pay a £80 statutory surcharge.
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
- Five parents faced ‘home alone’ probe in Cumbria
- Cumbria victim attacked as she breastfed baby
- Barrow children paid tribute to caretaker who died from a brain tumour
- Ulverston gala event provides fitting end to Cumbria music festival
- Number of recorded rapes up by more than half in Cumbria
- Big swing would be required for red seat to change colour
- Curbing violence is key aim at Cumbria prison
- Otter found in Cumbria puddle is now doing swimmingly
- Police scour CCTV footage in bid to find Barrow assault suspect
- Barrow man smashed girlfriend’s car while fleeing police
- Edmo: Barrow AFC can handle the pressure
- Edgy Barrow AFC draw a blank against Bradford Park Avenue (3 comments)
- Walney Central move to top of table after home win
- Barrow boxer Liam has to settle for a draw
- Late goal sees Kirkby United book place in trophy final
- Edgy Barrow AFC draw a blank against gutsy Bradford
- Edmo urges Barrow AFC fans to raise the volume (1 comment)
- Loan ace in line to earn permanent Barrow AFC switch
- Casson confident over Barrow AFC title bid
- Wilson hails Barrow AFC squad strength
Visit our websites for...
Great Daffodil appeal 2015
Homes and gardens 21
Power to switch
Walk to remember
Choosing a secondary school
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|