Investment set to boost area
Last updated at 13:54, Tuesday, 27 March 2012
MULTI-BILLION pound investment on the West Coast of Cumbria will also benefit Furness, the head of Britain’s Energy Coast has said.
Tom Gilroy, acting chief executive of the organisation, said he hopes that up to £100bn will be invested in the West Coast economy.
He told a meeting of the Boosting Barrow and Furness Group that partnerships between the Energy Coast and businesses in Furness would benefit everyone.
He said: “I see Barrow as being a very, very important part of the partnerships that we are trying to develop.
“I had a meeting with Jackie Arnold (BAE Systems Submarine Solution’s head of financial governance and strategy) and Terry Waiting (from Keep Our Future Afloat Campaign). We had a good clear discussion, where we talked and tried to develop partnerships.
“I think between us, if we can work together and get some positivity going, then we can make a difference and punch above our weight down in Westminster.”
Mr Gilroy said projects such as the proposed MOX plants and underground nuclear storage could bring up to £100bn into the Cumbrian economy, and that businesses in Barrow could benefit from this investment.
Chairman of the group, Tim Bell, asked Mr Gilroy if Energy Coast was able to invest in businesses in Barrow.
Mr Gilroy replied that government legislation prevented this, but this would not prevent businesses from being able to gain on the back of successes in the West Coast.
He said: “If they were going to be doing the work in West Cumbria, then the answer to your question would be yes.
“We don’t see that as any reason why we can’t collaborate.”
Mr Gilroy unveiled a blueprint which revealed four areas of investment opportunity for the Energy Coast: optimising nuclear investment, diversification through innovation, supporting infrastructure and growing the area’s asset base.
Mr Gilroy also expressed his delight at the news that Glaxo SmithKline is to build a new £350m factory at its site in Ulverston.
He said: “The announcement was absolutely fabulous news for this area.
“We may well be 20 to 30 miles up the coast, but we are really pleased as well.”
First published at 13:08, Tuesday, 27 March 2012
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
- Millom Rugby Union Club awarded £10,000 grant (2 comments)
- Australian children send war tributes to South Cumbria
- Barrow attack victim: 'I was left for dead'
- Rescuers called out twice to missing walkers on Cumbria mountain
- Cash machine blown up in Cumbria raid
- Big crowds expected for Ulverston pageant
- Barrow and Furness election hopefuls clash in debates
- Barrow man jailed for striking victim with piece of wood (2 comments)
- Rural Cumbria voters are calling for support
- South Cumbria drivers caught out by traffic warden's Sunday morning blitz (10 comments)
- Casson over the moon with Barrow AFC title success
- Jubilant Barrow fans speak of joy and relief
- Edmondson hails title-winning Barrow AFC
- Barrow AFC crowned Conference North champions: with picture gallery (5 comments)
- Barrow AFC fans ready for Lowestoft title decider:with picture gallery
- We give Barrow AFC fans the lowdown on Lowestoft
- Superfan’s 6,500 mile trip to see Barrow AFC
- Day of destiny for Barrow AFC
- Edmo calls on Barrow AFC to write club history
- AFC Fylde boss still believes his side can pip Barrow AFC to title
- Sea cadets prepare for their Big Clean
- Big Clean at Bardsea Beach
- Nation’s tribute for five flying heroes
- Mystery lady to sell at auction for £10k
- Winning village team could get 1,500 fans
- Selling the secrets of ship technology
- Classic cars set to return
- Why the speed trap claptrap?
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Tracing granddad Bert’s footsteps in ill-fated campaign
- FOOD REVIEW: The Plough, Lupton
Visit our websites for...
- Carlisle girl banned from lessons until she changes hair colour (202 comments)
- Carlisle Utd boss attacks 'weak' players who don't deserve to be professionals (83 comments)
- Carlisle billboard blunder 'funny' claims Labour candidate (68 comments)
- Row over Tory MP hopeful's election banner in Carlisle (56 comments)
- Last-day Carlisle Utd match alert over Bob Marley theme fans (39 comments)
Choosing a pre-school
Luscombe Plant Hire
Great Daffodil appeal 2015
Homes and gardens 21
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|