Inspectors praise Barrow pupils’ ‘outstanding’ behaviour
Last updated at 08:47, Friday, 08 August 2014
INSPECTORS have praised the behaviour of pupils as ‘outstanding’ after a visit to a Barrow school.
Victoria Junior School, in Devonshire Road, Barrow, was rated as ‘good’ after an Ofsted inspection in July.
The school, which has 216 pupils, was awarded good in three of four categories but was ranked outstanding in the behaviour and safety of pupils.
Inspectors praised the behaviour of pupils as “exceptional” and achievement at the end of Year 6 was judged to be above average with good teaching.
However, the report was not all positive, with teachers criticised for marking that does not always highlight errors in work along with information about pupils’ progress also coming under fire.
Louise Murphy, lead inspector, said: “The behaviour of pupils is outstanding. Pupils have a highly positive attitude toward learning. They say that teachers make learning so much fun that ‘even children who don’t like learning want to get involved’.”
Headteacher Caroline Vernon was also praised.
Ms Murphy added: “The headteacher is highly ambitious for the school and is clearly focused on continuing to improve standards.
“She is effectively supported by the senior leadership team, staff and governors.
“This is a team determined to provide the best for pupils.”
Inspectors said in order to improve further, teachers need to be more rigorous in monitoring mistakes made by pupils along with checking on progress.
Ms Murphy said: “Pupils’ spiritual, moral, social and cultural development is promoted very well.
“Pupils strive to do their best in sports and artistic pursuits.
“The school is well led and managed.
“The headteacher, all leaders, governors and staff share the aim to provide the very best for all pupils in the school.
“School leaders, including governors, are maintaining the quality of teacher and actions are improving pupils’ achievement still further.”
First published at 14:27, Thursday, 07 August 2014
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Caroline and her team have always been outstanding. We don't need a report to tell us how committed the are to the pupils.
Make your comment
- Barrow hosting major cycling event today
- Police appeal after taxi driver assaulted in Ulverston
- How do you turn Barrow town centre into a cycling race track? (8 comments)
- Tour Series sponsor BAE Systems holding recruitment fair today
- Everything you need to know about the Tour Series Barrow stage (3 comments)
- Barrow businessman to bring back classic pop Sass (4 comments)
- New deals on offer for Cumbria tourist attractions and restaurants
- Gardening fans make a beeline for South Cumbria festival’s delights
- Barrow race is on to share in cycling glory
- South Cumbria businesses can see benefit to backing big day
- Wiggins star triumphs in Barrow Tour Series
- Pugh injury blow for Askam
- Hawcoat complete clean sweep: with picture gallery
- Tributes to Lindal rocket Ronnie
- Maj makes his mark at Ulverston
- Six of the best to look out for
- Handley in form ahead of Barrow Tour Series showdown
- Lupton the perfect stand-in for Barrow Raiders (1 comment)
- Fun in the sun at Barrow football festival: with picture gallery
- Five-star show from Barrow athletes
- Eyes down for Car Boot Bingo
- Tough time for trading
- More names found for the 1946 workers
- Store visit reward was a bag of dolly mixture
- FOOD REVIEW: The Wilson Arms, Torver
- TRAVEL REVIEW: France
- South Cumbria children’s creativity worth crowing over
- Vital to pick up condition early
- Sharing the pain of chronic problem
- First Aid