Inspectors praise Barrow pupils’ ‘outstanding’ behaviour
Last updated at 08:47, Friday, 08 August 2014
INSPECTORS have praised the behaviour of pupils as ‘outstanding’ after a visit to a Barrow school.
Victoria Junior School, in Devonshire Road, Barrow, was rated as ‘good’ after an Ofsted inspection in July.
The school, which has 216 pupils, was awarded good in three of four categories but was ranked outstanding in the behaviour and safety of pupils.
Inspectors praised the behaviour of pupils as “exceptional” and achievement at the end of Year 6 was judged to be above average with good teaching.
However, the report was not all positive, with teachers criticised for marking that does not always highlight errors in work along with information about pupils’ progress also coming under fire.
Louise Murphy, lead inspector, said: “The behaviour of pupils is outstanding. Pupils have a highly positive attitude toward learning. They say that teachers make learning so much fun that ‘even children who don’t like learning want to get involved’.”
Headteacher Caroline Vernon was also praised.
Ms Murphy added: “The headteacher is highly ambitious for the school and is clearly focused on continuing to improve standards.
“She is effectively supported by the senior leadership team, staff and governors.
“This is a team determined to provide the best for pupils.”
Inspectors said in order to improve further, teachers need to be more rigorous in monitoring mistakes made by pupils along with checking on progress.
Ms Murphy said: “Pupils’ spiritual, moral, social and cultural development is promoted very well.
“Pupils strive to do their best in sports and artistic pursuits.
“The school is well led and managed.
“The headteacher, all leaders, governors and staff share the aim to provide the very best for all pupils in the school.
“School leaders, including governors, are maintaining the quality of teacher and actions are improving pupils’ achievement still further.”
First published at 14:27, Thursday, 07 August 2014
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Caroline and her team have always been outstanding. We don't need a report to tell us how committed the are to the pupils.
Make your comment
- Kendal man sentenced to over two years for indecent images of children
- Warning from Cumbria police after thieves target cars parked in rural areas
- BBC TV shows focus their cameras on Lake District locations
- Ulverston enthusiasts hope beekeeping venture will reach sticky end
- Millom shop boss evades driving ban
- Builder used cash machine scam in Barrow after two weeks in UK
- Millom parents fighting for centre given group’s support
- Greats pay respects to Barrow born ex-Chelsea chief
- Inquest into death of Barrow woman due to open
- Evening Mail poll shows surge in support for Ukip
- Barrow AFC edge closer to title glory
- Cook scoops Player of the Season prize
- Casson delighted with Edmo's Barrow progress
- Casson confident Barrow AFC can claim title this weekend
- Barrow Raiders aim to banish away-day blues
- Barrow Raiders look to take sting out of Rochdale Hornets
- RAIDERS REVIEW: Saturday nights with Barrow Raiders good for me
- Jones: Barrow Raiders need to beat Rochdale
- Dutch invasion at Barrow AFC
- Barrow AFC stalwart honoured (1 comment)
- WEDDING ALBUM: Kirsty Haddock and Ryan Brown
- FOOD REVIEW: Storrs Hall On The Lake, Windermere
- Guitar smashers made a big noise at old Public Hall
- Searching for story of plate
- A £20 car boot find is sold for £7,000
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Greek island Lefkas
- Customer service? Never heard of it! (1 comment)
- Camilla bashing is right royal nonsense
- Town’s 13 butchers and a soap maker
- First Aid