Inspectors praise Barrow pupils’ ‘outstanding’ behaviour
Last updated at 08:47, Friday, 08 August 2014
INSPECTORS have praised the behaviour of pupils as ‘outstanding’ after a visit to a Barrow school.
Victoria Junior School, in Devonshire Road, Barrow, was rated as ‘good’ after an Ofsted inspection in July.
The school, which has 216 pupils, was awarded good in three of four categories but was ranked outstanding in the behaviour and safety of pupils.
Inspectors praised the behaviour of pupils as “exceptional” and achievement at the end of Year 6 was judged to be above average with good teaching.
However, the report was not all positive, with teachers criticised for marking that does not always highlight errors in work along with information about pupils’ progress also coming under fire.
Louise Murphy, lead inspector, said: “The behaviour of pupils is outstanding. Pupils have a highly positive attitude toward learning. They say that teachers make learning so much fun that ‘even children who don’t like learning want to get involved’.”
Headteacher Caroline Vernon was also praised.
Ms Murphy added: “The headteacher is highly ambitious for the school and is clearly focused on continuing to improve standards.
“She is effectively supported by the senior leadership team, staff and governors.
“This is a team determined to provide the best for pupils.”
Inspectors said in order to improve further, teachers need to be more rigorous in monitoring mistakes made by pupils along with checking on progress.
Ms Murphy said: “Pupils’ spiritual, moral, social and cultural development is promoted very well.
“Pupils strive to do their best in sports and artistic pursuits.
“The school is well led and managed.
“The headteacher, all leaders, governors and staff share the aim to provide the very best for all pupils in the school.
“School leaders, including governors, are maintaining the quality of teacher and actions are improving pupils’ achievement still further.”
First published at 14:27, Thursday, 07 August 2014
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Caroline and her team have always been outstanding. We don't need a report to tell us how committed the are to the pupils.
Make your comment
- Tributes to ‘lovely’ and ‘kind’ Barrow dad who died suddenly (1 comment)
- New Barrow fast food outlet store set to open for business
- Sir David Attenborough is top of class with young Barrow fans
- Family and friends pay tribute to man found dead in Windermere
- South Cumbria man who attacked girlfriend and his dad spared jail term
- Exposure to asbestos blamed for former Ulverston mechanic’s death
- Calendar will boost fund and raise awareness of childhood disabilities
- ‘Several buyers’ interested in Walney pub
- Barrow burglar admits stealing car in Ulverston
- ‘I’ll smash your face in’ – Dalton man threatens retirement home resident
- Barrow AFC boss ready for first test of pre-season
- Barrow Raiders coach excited about pathway plan launch
- Amateur aces ready for Barrow AFC challenge
- Haverigg's Higson hope
- Newly-wed Mark knows final appearance makes Cents
- Furness have the edge in Twenty20
- Barrow AFC face tough start to their National League campaign
- Barrow Raiders packman Jones joins Rochdale Hornets
- Barrow AFC defender to sign new two-year deal
- Barrow AFC keeper battle to heat up
- Boxing Star to inspire females in Barrow through Olympic and Paralympic legacy project
- WEDDING ALBUM: Sharna Forsyth and James Tyson
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Venice
- FOOD REVIEW: Punchbowl, Crosthwaite
- Time to forge better deal within the EU
- FOOD REVIEW: The Crown, North Scale, Walney
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Bali
- Toddler fights back from heart surgery
- Garden no safe place for birds
- WEDDING ALBUM: Gemma Jones and Craig Brown