Barrow teenager died after falling asleep at the wheel
Last updated at 16:43, Wednesday, 12 February 2014
A BARROW teenager died after falling asleep at the wheel, an inquest has heard.
Joseph Andrews died aged 19 on August 2 following a crash near Green Lane, on the A590 between Barrow and Ulverston.
An inquest in Barrow Town Hall heard how Mr Andrews had little or no sleep in the previous day and fell asleep at the wheel causing his Vauxhall Corsa to cross into the opposite lane.
Wayne Rotherey, who was driving the HGV, saw Mr Andrews' car and slammed on his brakes but police said there was no action he could have taken to avoid the collision.
Coroner Mr Ian Smith said Mr Andrews' death was the result of a road traffic collision.
Mr Andrews' family previously paid tribute to a 'big hearted lad'.
They said: “Joseph was a happy go lucky lad.
"He was very caring and big-hearted and sensitive to other people’s feelings and was always ready to help anyone.
“He was always the joker and was always happy when he was making you laugh. He was greatly loved by all his family and friends and there is going to be a big hole left in all our lives and we will miss him forever.”
- See today's Evening Mail for the full story.
First published at 08:32, Tuesday, 11 February 2014
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
Visit our websites for...
- Fans petition Carlisle Utd owners to sell club (109 comments)
- Dog fouling crackdown gets under way in Carlisle (72 comments)
- Grieving man’s call to ban dogs from Carlisle Cemetery (47 comments)
- MD Nixon: Last week was my blackest time at Carlisle Utd (45 comments)
- Labour’s all-female shortlist for Workington is boost for women - claim (42 comments)
Post 16 education
A new year - a new you
Light up a life
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|