In-demand Millom students look forward to bright futures
Last updated at 16:48, Tuesday, 05 March 2013
SIXTH-FORM students have set their sights on some exciting careers, ranging from engineering to working with horses.
Students at Millom School’s Sixth Form are welcoming university offers for a range of degree courses.
Jamie Bentley, of Ravenglass, has offers to study mechanical and mechatronics engineering at Manchester and Sheffield universities. The 17-year-old needs three As.
Jamie is waiting to hear from his top choice, Imperial College London, which will require two A*s and an A.
He said: “Engineering is something I’ve always wanted to do.
“I really want to go to Imperial for the reputation and to study in London.”
Horse enthusiast Julie Fell is going to study an equine science degree before moving into veterinary training.
The 17-year-old of Bootle is planning to study at Bishop Burton College, Hull, and needs 200 UCAS points.
Julie said: “I’ve been involved with horses all my life.
“I have four horses and I grew up on a diary farm.
“I love working with animals, and being able to help them and their owners would be great.”
The teenager said she was keen to visit new places, having only lived in her village.
Julie said that she is glad that she chose to continue her studies in Millom, as she knew all her teachers.
Louise Richards, 17, of Haverigg, plans to study accounting and finance.
She has conditional offers from all the universities she applied to.
Her top choice is Chester and she needs 280 UCAS points.
She said: “I’ve always enjoyed dealing with numbers and I feel I’ll be good at this course and I’ll enjoy it. Chester is a really lovely campus university and the course structure looks really good there.
“I’m excited to go to university. I’m looking forward to having cities on my doorstep.
“I’d like to come back to Cumbria, hopefully with my own business.”
First published at 16:34, Tuesday, 05 March 2013
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
- UPDATE: Man named as Windermere murder investigation continues
- Police investigating fail to stop road traffic collision in Barrow
- Police investigate Ulverston equestrian centre burglary
- Barrow teen hid bat in his shorts while on plant food
- Barrow council to recover costs of beached car removal
- Sacrifices may be needed to save Cumbria maternity services
- Cumbria bus strike threat looms if talks over working hours fail
- Last respects paid to Millom poppymaker Mary
- Barrow MP among 19 to have had parliamentary credit card suspended
- Barrow woman attacked husband after cider-drinking binge
- Barrow karate kid is magic on the mat: WITH PICTURE GALLERY
- Junior girls football league seeking to build on strong campaign
- Barrow ASC earn Diddy League title
- Cents bid to end their final hoodoo
- Furness ace Natasha scores hole-in-one
- Dalton chef Dave serves up a golfing treat
- Barrow Raiders hoping to roar in Lion's den
- Half-term report - foundations in place for Barrow Raiders success (1 comment)
- Barrow boxing coach out to prove he's a charity warrior
- Dalton RL prospect leads Italian job
- Boxing Star to inspire females in Barrow through Olympic and Paralympic legacy project
- WEDDING ALBUM: Sharna Forsyth and James Tyson
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Venice
- FOOD REVIEW: Punchbowl, Crosthwaite
- Time to forge better deal within the EU
- FOOD REVIEW: The Crown, North Scale, Walney
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Bali
- Toddler fights back from heart surgery
- Garden no safe place for birds
- WEDDING ALBUM: Gemma Jones and Craig Brown
Visit our websites for...
- Barrow football fan banned after shouting abuse (1 comment)
- Cumbria rail provider: Hamster, false teeth and Barry Manilow CD among lost items (1 comment)
- Barrovian's World Cup brace helps England smash Japan
- 'Unacceptable' 100-mile round journeys for Barrow disability assessments (1 comment)
- A590 path repair project announced (1 comment)
F. Dickinson footwear
Homes and gardens 22
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|