‘I hope Barrow van thief wasn’t injured’
Last updated at 15:57, Sunday, 30 December 2012
A PENSIONER who had his prized campervan stolen and crashed on Christmas Day says he hopes the person responsible escaped uninjured.
Joe Shannon, 72, was visiting his son in Vulcan Road, Barrow, when the Toyota Hiace was stolen about 8pm.
A short time afterwards the male driver crashed the van into railings and turned it on its side in Michaelson Road.
He was helped from the van by people on the scene but ran off and was still being hunted by police yesterday.
Mr Shannon, of Harrogate Street, Barrow, said he had been to see the van where it was being kept in a compound in Ulverston.
The side of the van had been dented and there was damage to the front and the windscreen had also been broken and removed.
He was still waiting to speak to his insurance company, but feared it may be the end of the road for the van, which he paid £7,000 for about two years ago.
“To tell you the truth, I think it will be called as a write off,” he said.
“But I can’t really say until I have caught up with the insurers, they will determine what happens.”
Mr Shannon uses the van to take breaks in the Lake District and Lancashire.
However, he said he was more concerned for the person who crashed it than the state of the van.
“It went over on the driver’s side as well and I think he was very lucky. I am glad he wasn’t injured, I am just glad he is OK,” he said.
“Regardless of what he might have done, it’s just a van.
“I am not too concerned really, the way I look at it, it’s done and I don’t like to cry over spilled milk.”
Police said they were still investigating the theft of the campervan and would like to hear from people with information about what happened.
Anyone who can help is asked to contact Barrow police on 101 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.
First published at 13:13, Sunday, 30 December 2012
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
how lovely that Joes first thought is for the safety of the thieving little toerag who nicked his van...i hope u get it sorted by insurers joe it seems a shame that yr little weekend and holiday getaway has been ruined by yet someone else that has no respect for other peoples property...all kudos to u joe for being a lovely guy and i hope u have a happy new year xxx
Make your comment
- Kendal man sentenced to over two years for indecent images of children
- Warning from Cumbria police after thieves target cars parked in rural areas
- BBC TV shows focus their cameras on Lake District locations
- Ulverston enthusiasts hope beekeeping venture will reach sticky end
- Millom shop boss evades driving ban
- Builder used cash machine scam in Barrow after two weeks in UK
- Millom parents fighting for centre given group’s support
- Greats pay respects to Barrow born ex-Chelsea chief
- Inquest into death of Barrow woman due to open
- Evening Mail poll shows surge in support for Ukip
- Barrow AFC edge closer to title glory
- Cook scoops Player of the Season prize
- Casson delighted with Edmo's Barrow progress
- Casson confident Barrow AFC can claim title this weekend
- Barrow Raiders aim to banish away-day blues
- Barrow Raiders look to take sting out of Rochdale Hornets
- RAIDERS REVIEW: Saturday nights with Barrow Raiders good for me
- Jones: Barrow Raiders need to beat Rochdale
- Dutch invasion at Barrow AFC
- Barrow AFC stalwart honoured (1 comment)
- WEDDING ALBUM: Kirsty Haddock and Ryan Brown
- FOOD REVIEW: Storrs Hall On The Lake, Windermere
- Guitar smashers made a big noise at old Public Hall
- Searching for story of plate
- A £20 car boot find is sold for £7,000
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Greek island Lefkas
- Customer service? Never heard of it! (1 comment)
- Camilla bashing is right royal nonsense
- Town’s 13 butchers and a soap maker
- First Aid