‘I hope Barrow van thief wasn’t injured’
Last updated at 15:57, Sunday, 30 December 2012
A PENSIONER who had his prized campervan stolen and crashed on Christmas Day says he hopes the person responsible escaped uninjured.
Joe Shannon, 72, was visiting his son in Vulcan Road, Barrow, when the Toyota Hiace was stolen about 8pm.
A short time afterwards the male driver crashed the van into railings and turned it on its side in Michaelson Road.
He was helped from the van by people on the scene but ran off and was still being hunted by police yesterday.
Mr Shannon, of Harrogate Street, Barrow, said he had been to see the van where it was being kept in a compound in Ulverston.
The side of the van had been dented and there was damage to the front and the windscreen had also been broken and removed.
He was still waiting to speak to his insurance company, but feared it may be the end of the road for the van, which he paid £7,000 for about two years ago.
“To tell you the truth, I think it will be called as a write off,” he said.
“But I can’t really say until I have caught up with the insurers, they will determine what happens.”
Mr Shannon uses the van to take breaks in the Lake District and Lancashire.
However, he said he was more concerned for the person who crashed it than the state of the van.
“It went over on the driver’s side as well and I think he was very lucky. I am glad he wasn’t injured, I am just glad he is OK,” he said.
“Regardless of what he might have done, it’s just a van.
“I am not too concerned really, the way I look at it, it’s done and I don’t like to cry over spilled milk.”
Police said they were still investigating the theft of the campervan and would like to hear from people with information about what happened.
Anyone who can help is asked to contact Barrow police on 101 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.
First published at 13:13, Sunday, 30 December 2012
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
how lovely that Joes first thought is for the safety of the thieving little toerag who nicked his van...i hope u get it sorted by insurers joe it seems a shame that yr little weekend and holiday getaway has been ruined by yet someone else that has no respect for other peoples property...all kudos to u joe for being a lovely guy and i hope u have a happy new year xxx
Make your comment
- Tributes to ‘lovely’ and ‘kind’ Barrow dad who died suddenly (1 comment)
- New Barrow fast food outlet store set to open for business
- Sir David Attenborough is top of class with young Barrow fans
- Family and friends pay tribute to man found dead in Windermere
- South Cumbria man who attacked girlfriend and his dad spared jail term
- Exposure to asbestos blamed for former Ulverston mechanic’s death
- Calendar will boost fund and raise awareness of childhood disabilities
- ‘Several buyers’ interested in Walney pub
- Barrow burglar admits stealing car in Ulverston
- ‘I’ll smash your face in’ – Dalton man threatens retirement home resident
- Furness Select secure win over Barrow AFC
- Walney Central lose Cumbria Cup final
- Barrow AFC boss ready for first test of pre-season
- Barrow Raiders coach excited about pathway plan launch
- Amateur aces ready for Barrow AFC challenge
- Haverigg's Higson hope
- Newly-wed Mark knows final appearance makes Cents
- Furness have the edge in Twenty20
- Barrow AFC face tough start to their National League campaign
- Barrow Raiders packman Jones joins Rochdale Hornets
- WEDDING ALBUM: Katie Anne Hillman and Christopher Michael Low
- Boxing Star to inspire females in Barrow through Olympic and Paralympic legacy project
- WEDDING ALBUM: Sharna Forsyth and James Tyson
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Venice
- FOOD REVIEW: Punchbowl, Crosthwaite
- Time to forge better deal within the EU
- FOOD REVIEW: The Crown, North Scale, Walney
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Bali
- Toddler fights back from heart surgery
- Garden no safe place for birds