Hundreds experience big chill in lake Windermere
Last updated at 16:44, Tuesday, 05 February 2013
HUNDREDS of swimmers travelled from across the UK and the continent to experience the rush of a winter dip in Windermere.
The first Big Chill Swim took place in Windermere on Saturday.
Around 250 swimmers took part in the 30m, 60m or 450m events which took place in a segregated section of water at Low Wood Bay.
And although the sun was out for the duration of the day, the water was icy cold, with February being the month when the lake is at its coldest.
Organiser Colin Hill said the conditions had been perfect for those looking to experience the thrill of cold water swimming.
He said: “The conditions were absolutely beautiful and it was great on the day.
“In the morning, the water was very flat and then the wind picked up later on, but the water was nice and cold.
“We are already preparing to open for entries for 2014 and hopefully we are going to get twice as many people taking part.”
Participants travelled from across the UK and Europe to take part in the event, and Mr Hill said he was keen to get more local people taking part in next year’s event.
And the passionate open water swimmer said the event was ideal for people who wanted to experience an adrenaline rush.
He said: “Winter swimming is absolutely invigorating.
“It does take some doing, but it is absolutely fantastic and addictive once you’ve done it.
Obviously, you have to be sensible about it, though.
“A lot of people have discovered outdoor swimming but I don’t think as many know about winter swimming.”
Barrow swimmer Sharon Harris was one of the participants who braved the water and said the experience was fantastic.
She said: “It was brilliant and the event was really well organised.
“It was cold, though.
“The water was about five degrees when we were doing it but the weather was kind to us.
“There wasn’t much wind.”
First published at 16:35, Tuesday, 05 February 2013
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
- Email us
- Send us your pictures
- Send us your news
- Send us your views
- Staff contacts
- Advertise with us
- Family Notices
- Reader Travel
- Competition rules
- CN Letterbox
- Find It in Furness
- CV Link
- Online shop
- CN Research
- Eye Care Savings
- Halifax loans
Visit our websites for...
- Tributes paid to Barrow father of twins killed in collision on main road (4 comments)
- Carlisle woman punched man she was about to have sex with
- Barrow teen gives no indication of plea for assault on two women
- Hundreds attend funeral of inspiring Barrow PE teacher (3 comments)
- Woman fined for being drunk in charge of children in Barrow supermarket
- Uproar at Barrow service charge hikes vote (3 comments)
- New Ulverston group may take charge of town car parks (8 comments)
- Barrow man jailed for animal cruelty (22 comments)
- Barrow duo in court over cemetery shooting (11 comments)
- Barrow dad killed in Cumbria crash named (12 comments)
- Sellafield deer cull plans are branded ‘absurd’ (7 comments)
- Immigrant stole whisky worth £1,080 from Barrow store (6 comments)
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|