Hospital patient had feeding tube in lung
Last updated at 09:55, Thursday, 20 February 2014
A HOSPITAL patient died days after a wrongly placed feeding tube was found in their lung.The catastrophic error was one of nine “never events” – mistakes so bad they should never have taken place – recorded at the University Hospitals of Morecambe Bay NHS Foundation Trust during the three-year period spanning 2011, 2012 and 2013.
In December 2013 it was revealed that 150 patients nationally had been harmed by such incidents between April and September of that year, including three within the trust which runs Furness General Hospital.
UHMBT refused to provide more details of the incidents, including in which hospital they had occurred.
The details of these nine incidents were supplied in reponse to a Freedom of Information request lodged by the Evening Mail following last year’s report.
UHMBT faced a clinical negligence claim for one of the events, the misplacement of a naso/oro gastric feeding tube at its Royal Lancaster Infirmary site in 2011.
Confirming details of the incident the trust said: “The patient had an NG tube in situ and had been fed through this tube and feeds had been running for four hours in total.
“The patient experienced right-sided chest pain and an urgent chest x-ray showed the NG tube in the right lung. The patient died two days later.”
Of the remaining never events, three took place in 2012, with the remaining five recorded in 2013.
Of all nine incidents, only one occurred at FGH – a “retained foreign object” reported between April and September last year.
The trust said: “A peripherally inserted central catheter, a type of intravenous catheter, was removed in a patient showing signs of sepsis.
“When an X-ray taken to check the patient’s condition was viewed, it was noted that a previously placed PICC was still in situ but had migrated several centimetres proximally and would require surgical exploration for retrieval.
“This catheter should have been removed sooner, and the fact that not all the catheter had been retrieved should have been noted at the time.”
Other major errors recorded in the last three years included an operation being carried out on the wrong patient, wire being left in someone’s ureter following kidney surgery and two incidents of swabs being left inside mothers following childbirth.
Trust medical director, George Nasmyth, said: “We take these events extremely seriously, investigate them thoroughly and ensure that we share learning from each to minimise any re-occurrence of a similar event.
“The safety of our patients is our priority and we actively encourage members of staff to report any events which take place where they have concerns that patient care may have been compromised.”
First published at 16:11, Wednesday, 19 February 2014
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
- Nude bathing “plans” and edible cars among Cumbria April fools
- Building work at Barrow care home set to restart
- Driver who crashed in Walney sought by police
- Updated: Football fan comes forward to speak to police about Barrow AFC assault claim
- Man, 65, suffers serious injuries in 40m Lake District fall
- Cat charge admitted by Barrow woman
- Water supply cut off in Ulverston
- Cumbria man reunites with Korean Zen master
- Former Barrow children’s doctor accused of failings defends his treatment
- Big Clean team hit Askam beach for tidy-up
- Barrow AFC boss drops Taylor deal hint
- Barrow Raiders boss holds injury concern
- Penny takes Palma path in 100 marathons mission
- McHale ready to roar on his TT debut
- Evening Mail's Emma learns the lessons of triathlon bid
- Anglers over rainbow with restocking
- Tribute to Barrow angler Don (1 comment)
- Barrow AFC winger hoping to be let loose on Stockport
- "We'll be ready" roars Barrow Raiders ace ahead of league opener (2 comments)
- It's 400-up for Ulverston-born Wilkes - Super League next target (6 comments)
Visit our websites for...
- BT leave me without broadband or TV for a week (2 comments)
- UPDATE: Barrow police search for missing woman
- Condolences for Cumbrian business woman duped woman out of £100,000 savings
- Electricity to be cut off at South Lakes restaurant
- Windermere school bully bites victim’s nose at club
- Three men in South Lakes court on firearm and assault charges
- Renowned Lake District hotel sold
- Keswick to Barrow 2012 - Go the distance
- Dismay as popular fireworks event axed over funding crisis (3 comments)
- Police hunting Lake District super glue vandal (1 comment)
Great Daffodil appeal 2015
Homes and gardens 21
Power to switch
Walk to remember
Choosing a secondary school
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|