Have-a-go hero foils £2k theft from guard
Published at 10:36, Saturday, 05 May 2012
A HERO foiled two thieves who stole £2,000 from a security guard.
Barrow man Mark Lockley was having a meal with friend Dave Beveridge outside a Nando’s restaurant at a retail park in Preston when he heard some scuffling behind him.
He turned round and spotted a thug running away with a cash box in the direction of a nearby KFC. Mr Lockley, 37, chased after the thief who dropped the box, abandoned his getaway bike and fled.
Mr Lockley, who lives on Barrow Island and works for a shipyard contractor, said his heroic actions had been “instinctive”.
He said: “We were having a meal at Nando’s at Deepdale Retail Park on Thursday afternoon, then went outside to have a drink because the weather was nice and I heard a scuffle behind me so I turned around and saw this guy attacking a security guard.
“I legged it after him... he knew he would get caught so he dropped the box and legged it when I was about eight metres away.”
As the yob fled empty-handed, Mr Lockley claimed he shouted to a second assailant for a gun.
He said: “He was shouting ‘get me a gun’ and I found out from Dave there was another guy there but whether there was a gun, I don’t know.”
Mr Lockley said his only concern was to try to stop someone doing wrong.
He added: “It was just instinct. It’s just helping somebody out, you don’t want people getting away with that sort of stuff.”
Police later said the security guard had been leaving Costa Coffee with the cash box when he was ambushed by two men, who grabbed the cassette, which activated the security smoke.
Det Insp Keith Lee, of Preston police, said: “Fast-thinking members of the public who showed bravery were able to foil the robbers and prevent anything being stolen.”
He added: “I would appeal to anyone who was in the area at the time and witnessed the incident then I would ask them to contact the police.”
l An 18-year-old man from Salford has been arrested in connection with the incident.
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
- Success brewing as Hardknott signs prestigious high street deal
- £7,500 pledge to help make Millom ‘danger’ park fit for purpose
- Hundreds lap up Millom Infant School summer entertainment
- Millom Post Office will be closed for up to three weeks during revamp
- Residents of flood-risk Millom set to get emergency plan
- Warning to DIY rat killers in South Cumbria
- PHOTOS: Festival atmosphere marks end of busy year for Barrow college
- Call for CCTV cameras to be installed in Dalton
- Families’ plight as Barrow Foodbank sees numbers soar by a third
- Hundreds want to leave cash-strapped Cumbria authority
- Barrow Raiders show true grit to defeat Newcastle Thunder
- Millom CC blow leaders Dalton away
- Barrow CC pro is star with bat and ball
- Barrow Raiders score thrilling win over Newcastle Thunder - with video highlights (3 comments)
- Wins for Askam and Millom in National Conference
- RAIDERS REVIEW: Time for Barrow Raiders to step it up
- RAIDERS REVIEW: Time to silence Thunder
- Barrow Raiders score thrilling win over Newcastle Thunder
- Moffatt's Royal day at Cartmel: with picture gallery
- Barrow Raiders told to steal Newcastle's Thunder
- WEDDING ALBUM: Sharna Forsyth and James Tyson
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Venice
- FOOD REVIEW: Punchbowl, Crosthwaite
- Time to forge better deal within the EU
- FOOD REVIEW: The Crown, North Scale, Walney
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Bali
- Toddler fights back from heart surgery
- Garden no safe place for birds
- WEDDING ALBUM: Gemma Jones and Craig Brown
- Let’s unite and take on fight together