Gun attack on Barrow tile shop leaves owner with £1,500 repair bill
Published at 12:51, Friday, 29 August 2014
THE owner of a tile company faces paying a £1,500 repair bill after vandals shot at three of his windows.
Premier Tiles owner Dave Staunton came into work over the weekend to discover large holes in three of his windows.
On closer inspection, and after calling police, Mr Staunton discovered the holes had been made with some sort of gun.
Police are now examining extensive CCTV footage in the area in an attempt to identify the culprits.
Mr Staunton, who has been based at the site in Ferry Beach Road, Barrow, for 14 years, said he did not believe he had been targeted.
He said: “It is upsetting but I hope it’s just kids and nothing more sinister.
“There should be enough CCTV footage to pick something up.”
As well as facing a £1,500 repair bill, Mr Staunton has had to reassure his staff who have been left understandably worried.
He said: “I’ve been based here for 14 years and the only time we’ve ever had any vandalism was about a year after we moved in.
“It is very worrying because they are actually very big holes and if someone had been in work at the time, it doesn’t bear thinking about what might have happened.
“The staff are a bit nervous, especially at the weekends. It’s a bit frightening to think what could happen.”
Mr Staunton, who employs five people at his tiles outlet in Premier Business Park, said he believed the shots may have been fired from near the cabins at the boating club base.
He added: “The police have been down to look at the damage and take any evidence away.
“They think they’ve used a ball bearing gun. I just hope they can catch them before someone gets hurt because the pellets have gone right through the window.”
The damage was caused at some time between 4.45pm on Friday August 22 and 10.15am the following day.
Anyone with information, or who believes they have also experienced damage by the same vandals, is asked to call PC Chris Ivison on 101.
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Visit our websites for...
- Ulverston gridlock driver prosecuted (58 comments)
- Barrow workers wait to hear about Tesco closures (23 comments)
- Barrow shipyard workers face ballot on seven-day week pay deal (41 comments)
- Car and motorbike crash on A590 between Lindal and Dalton
- Full story - 150 jobs to be axed at Barrow factory (9 comments)
- Angry Barrow families protest against minibus charges for nurseries (1 comment)
- Barrow MP challenges ‘eccentric’ Russell to Trident showdown (3 comments)
- Ulverston housing scheme ‘last chance to keep park going’
- Major development for Furness Enterprise
- Dolan aims to build on Barrow Raiders start (1 comment)
Post 16 education
A new year - a new you
Light up a life
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|