Green party slams Cumbria nuclear power station plans
Last updated at 09:02, Friday, 02 May 2014
Cumbria nuclear power station plans have been slammed by North-west Greens and branded ‘dangerous technology’.
Peter Cranie, the North-west Green Party's European election candidate, said: "We cannot continue to bury our heads in the sand and build a whole new generation of nuclear power stations.
“Recently the Environment Agency warned that flooding at Drigg could lead to the contamination of vast swathes of land. “As we saw at Fukushima, nuclear is a dangerous technology.
“The waste remains radioactive for thousands of years. What kind of legacy is that to leave to our children?"
"The nuclear industry sustains many jobs in Cumbria, but the coast here has huge potential to become a centre of excellence for the renewable energy industry, providing green jobs.
“Nuclear is an expensive way to produce energy, new plants take years to build and rely on huge government subsidies to keep costs artificially low.
“Instead of locking Britain into this costly and risky technology, the government should be investing seriously in energy efficiency and renewables.
“As a region with huge potential for renewable energy generation, the government must abandon its nuclear programme and demonstrate clear and unequivocal support for renewable energy technologies in the North West."
First published at 08:58, Friday, 02 May 2014
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
There's a Green party?
Make your comment
- Furness General midwife admits blunders which led to deaths of two babies
- Cumbria service that helps patients returning home gets extra funding
- Relief as second Cumbria climber accounted for after Nepal quake
- Cumbria mountaineer describes horrifying moment Nepal earthquake struck
- Cumbria man airlifted to hospital after ladder fall
- Signalling problems causing delays for Cumbria passengers
- Child's BMX bike stolen in Barrow
- Range Rover damaged in Broughton
- Cumbria runners set for London Marathon
- Millom Rugby Union Club awarded £10,000 grant (2 comments)
- Hundreds of Barrow AFC fans attend title homecoming celebration
- Barrow AFC crowned Conference North champions: with picture gallery (25 comments)
- Special day for Barrow AFC skipper
- Proud Edmo hails Barrow AFC title success: with picture gallery
- Crarey delight as Barrow Raiders run riot (3 comments)
- Holker cruise into play-offs: with picture gallery
- Furness start title defence in style: with picture gallery
- Glasson take the spoils at Ulverston
- Barrow AFC trophy presentation at Holker Street
- Jubilant Barrow fans speak of joy and relief (2 comments)
- Sea cadets prepare for their Big Clean
- Big Clean at Bardsea Beach
- Nation’s tribute for five flying heroes
- Mystery lady to sell at auction for £10k
- Winning village team could get 1,500 fans
- Selling the secrets of ship technology
- Classic cars set to return
- Why the speed trap claptrap?
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Tracing granddad Bert’s footsteps in ill-fated campaign
- FOOD REVIEW: The Plough, Lupton