Grange goes quackers over missing duck
Last updated at 16:30, Tuesday, 24 July 2012
A RARE and beautiful bird has gone missing, feared stolen, from a village’s charity twitching trail.
China Duck was one of 48 specially-decorated ducks to have been placed around Grange as part of the “Go Quackers” event, which runs until August 31.
All the models have been paid for, designed and decorated by the village’s businesses, and people have been paying £2 for a map to track down the ducks.
But the red and gold bird went missing from its home in Chilli Red takeaway on Main Street on Saturday night.
Ian Wilson, who organised “Go Quackers” with his wife, Pauline, said: “It might just be kids messing about.
“It might turn up down at the ornamental pond and it might come home again, which would be great.
“But it is disappointing.
“I’m really, exceptionally annoyed - we’re just feeling sad really.”
The police have been told the duck has gone missing, and its disappearance is being treated as theft.
Mr Wilson said the loss of the bird could have an impact on the amount of money raised by “Go Quackers” for the Michelle Jurd Memorial Trust.
All the ducks will be auctioned off in September to raise extra funds for the charity, set up in memory of the Grange mum-of-two killed in an accident on the A590 in November 2009.
Two prototypes auctioned at the launch of the trail raised £300 earlier this month.
Anyone who knows where the duck might be is asked to drop into any of the participating shops and businesses to let them know.
First published at 13:43, Tuesday, 24 July 2012
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
Visit our websites for...
- Barrow pair admitted to stealing items from Oxfam charity collection (2 comments)
- Mother of tasered Barrow bodybuilder Dale Burns leads calls for ban
- Browse the ASBO gallery (9 comments)
- Charity shop opens in Barrow to support families of war heroes
- Bradley Wiggins set to bring team to Barrow (1 comment)
- Ulverston man found dead in layby (1 comment)
- UPDATE: South Cumbria woman killed in crash (16 comments)
- Barrow store to sell off stock in closing down sale (9 comments)
- Pub chain’s £3.5m hotel bid for Barrow granted (11 comments)
- Barrow paedophile trio sentenced
- Wig wearing Barrow MP in fresh challenge to comedian Russell Brand (69 comments)
- Fan’s campaign to honour Barrow footballing hero with statue (27 comments)
- Dalton secondary school relaxes coat rules as temperatures plunge (24 comments)
- Barrow set for pound shop wars as chain plans store (26 comments)
Choosing a secondary school
Homes and Gardens
Post 16 education
A new year - a new you
Light up a life
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|