Go-ahead given to construct sea defences on battered Barrow coast
Last updated at 10:03, Thursday, 01 May 2014
A SEA defence designed to provide 20 years of protection to a stretch of eroding coastline has been given the go-ahead.
Barrow Borough Council’s planning committee yesterday granted the construction of a 145-metre rock “armour” coastal protection scheme at West Shore, opposite West Shore Park, near Earnse Bay.
Chairwoman Councillor Ann Thomson told the meeting in Barrow Town Hall: “It’s to be congratulated that everybody has worked together to get it. It’s desperately needed.”
It was noted in the mid 2000s that erosion rates along the park frontage were higher than other parts of the coastline and the grass verge was eroding at around 1.2 metres a year.
Barrow Borough Council subsequently built a temporary rock sloping structure along around 50 metres of the frontage to provide some protection while an application was for Environment Agency for this new defence.
The new defence will have a lifespan of 20 years to allow the council, park owners and residents time to plan a longer-term strategy for managing the eroding coastline once the defences are removed.
Councillor Brendan Sweeney told the meeting: “It’s important to emphasise it’s only a 20-year project and I really would like to see a permanent sign there to say that, so that people in the future have no doubts. It’s a holding measure to allow something to be sorted out. When you look at the damage and the weather, it’s not something that’s sustainable indefinitely. This is only good for 20 years.”
Meanwhile at South End Caravan Park, Walney, Barrow council executive director Phil Huck yesterday met with residents and businesses threatened with coastal erosion at the south of the island.
Following productive talks, a meeting was arranged for expert Mark Ellis, principal coastal engineer for Capita Symonds, to assess how a plan to raise a narrow road, which becomes flooded at high tides, can be made workable.
Councillor Frank Cassidy, who attended, said: “There were some interesting and resourceful ideas agreed and we’re still determined to find a solution to erosion problems at the south end.”
First published at 15:58, Wednesday, 30 April 2014
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
- Tributes to ‘lovely’ and ‘kind’ Barrow dad who died suddenly (1 comment)
- New Barrow fast food outlet store set to open for business
- Sir David Attenborough is top of class with young Barrow fans
- Family and friends pay tribute to man found dead in Windermere
- South Cumbria man who attacked girlfriend and his dad spared jail term
- Exposure to asbestos blamed for former Ulverston mechanic’s death
- Calendar will boost fund and raise awareness of childhood disabilities
- ‘Several buyers’ interested in Walney pub
- Barrow burglar admits stealing car in Ulverston
- ‘I’ll smash your face in’ – Dalton man threatens retirement home resident
- Furness Select secure win over Barrow AFC
- Walney Central lose Cumbria Cup final
- Barrow AFC boss ready for first test of pre-season
- Barrow Raiders coach excited about pathway plan launch
- Amateur aces ready for Barrow AFC challenge
- Haverigg's Higson hope
- Newly-wed Mark knows final appearance makes Cents
- Furness have the edge in Twenty20
- Barrow AFC face tough start to their National League campaign
- Barrow Raiders packman Jones joins Rochdale Hornets
- WEDDING ALBUM: Katie Anne Hillman and Christopher Michael Low
- Boxing Star to inspire females in Barrow through Olympic and Paralympic legacy project
- WEDDING ALBUM: Sharna Forsyth and James Tyson
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Venice
- FOOD REVIEW: Punchbowl, Crosthwaite
- Time to forge better deal within the EU
- FOOD REVIEW: The Crown, North Scale, Walney
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Bali
- Toddler fights back from heart surgery
- Garden no safe place for birds
Visit our websites for...
F. Dickinson footwear
Homes and gardens 22
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|