Gang banned from huge rural section of Cumbria
Published at 16:18, Sunday, 12 May 2013
FOUR criminal gang members, who targeted a farm in Coniston, have been banned from rural areas of Barrow, Millom and south Cumbria for between five and 10 years.
The convicted criminals were responsible for a string of rural raids following which a judge said people living in some remote communities had been too frightened to leave their properties.
Each of them is the subject of strict legal orders barring them from a massive area of Cumbria to prevent them targeting remote rural buildings.
Following the release of two of them from prison, police have issued photographs of them all, urging people to call if they spot them anywhere they shouldn’t be.
The Carlisle-based gang – Mark Robinson, Paul Gibbons, Alistair Tuddenham and Scott Rumney Mulholland – were jailed in December 2011.
Ringleader Robinson was sentenced to a 10-year Anti-social Behaviour Order, as was his right-hand man Gibbons and Tuddenham, the gang’s main driver. Mulholland’s Asbo runs for five years. Each of them have a string of previous convictions. Robinson was found guilty of a total of seven offences which included stealing copper cylinders from a farm at Coniston and taking a tractor from a farm at Tebay.
Conditions of the order ban all of them from:
lCausing harassment, alarm or distress to persons not of the same household within Cumbria;
lEntering or being found on, or within, any private land or property including outbuildings and dwellings outside a defined area but within Cumbria without the prior and express permission of the owner and / or lawful occupier. Private properties include farm shops and retail premises selling agricultural equipment as well as agricultural, farm tools, plant and machinery auctions and markets.
Details about the men are being circulated among south Cumbria’s parish councils covering rural areas, as well as being posted online. Community safety alerts show a map of the area not covered by the ban.
Detective Sergeant Peter Goulston is urging anyone who sees the men in a no-go area to contact them. He said: “Hopefully these orders send out a strong message to them and a strong message to the community to report any activity.
“These orders are quite wide-ranging, but they’re wide-ranging for a reason – to try and prevent any further offences being committed. These individuals were quite prolific.”
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Ice bucket challenge videos
Visit our websites for...
Go green 36
The Barber's Shop
Choosing a primary school
Kendall Brothers Ltd
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|