Fury as Millom and Haverigg bus cuts lead to event axe
Last updated at 14:25, Friday, 27 April 2012
AN unemployment workshop has been cancelled after organisers discovered bus routes faced being axed.
Last month Stagecoach announced the number seven service between Barrow and Millom along with the M1, M2 and M3 services between Millom and Haverigg would not run after May 20.
The Prince’s Trust had approached the Lighthouse Centre in Haverigg about the possibility of hosting a workshop to help tackle youth unemployment in South Copeland, but have since cancelled the event after hearing of the bus services being axed.
At a meeting of Millom Town Council on Wednesday(25/4), Councillor Felicity Wilson, a director at the Lighthouse Centre, said: “As business manager at the Lighthouse Centre I was asked if we could supply a venue for the Prince’s Trust to bring a workshop to our area to get young people into employment. They wanted to run a 12-week workshop.”
After several weeks Cllr Wilson contacted the charity to discuss the plans only to be told the workshop would no longer go ahead.
She said: “When I rang back they said Millom and Haverigg were not going to be venues because they had heard there’s a problem with transport between Millom and Haverigg.
“This is another example of our community being disadvantaged. A lot of people in both communities are dependent on public transport.”
Councillor Ray Cole, who represents Millom on Cumbria County Council, said: “I’m increasingly frustrated that people in rural areas seem to take the hit.
“What Cllr Wilson said about people not coming to use a venue is appalling for something that’s out of our control.
“But we can’t blame the county council on this one – the blame lies with central government.
“The county council is taking issue and writing to central government about it.
“In cities there are alternatives but people don’t have alternatives here – it’s time the government started looking at the rural areas and not just the cities.”
Councillor Janice Brown, incumbent mayor of Millom, said: “A lot of people who use the bus go to Millom every day.
“It’s awful that we’re not going to have a bus service – we’re going to be quite cut off.”
First published at 13:25, Friday, 27 April 2012
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Millom and Haverigg have nothing now. I looked up Haverigg and Millom on the page advertising holidays,on the computer. I entered bus timetables - there were none. I entered toilets again none. What is there for holiday makers and tourists? I think the two afore mentioned are essentials. I am not bothered about painting the front of shops as the council mentioned. I seldom go to Millom for my shopping now. I wrote an item previously stating the reasons for a toilet next to Tesco stores- which was published by the "Evening Mail". No one seems to care.
So many elderly residents and young mums with pushchairs use this service and it is appaulling that it is going to be lost.And what about visitors to HMP Haverigg.It's very sad.