Furness walking festival programme launched by Barrow mayor
Last updated at 10:36, Tuesday, 03 June 2014
A walking festival programme will be formally launched by Barrow mayor Councillor Marie Derbyshire at Roa Island tomorrow
The Islands of Barrow and Furness Walking Festival which has been ranked 21 in The Sunday Times walking festivals in the UK will take place June 29 to July 31The programme includes 21 walks exploring the islands of Barrow, its coastal fringes and the heritage of Furness.
Councillor Helen Wall, Barrow Borough Council’s spokesperson for Wildlife, Heritage and Culture said: “Walking is one of the best things you can do for your mental and physical health and a walking festival is an ideal way for both experienced walkers and beginners to get out on their feet.
“The Barrow area has such wonderful places to walk and a festival is the perfect way to show off some of the riches we have. Over the ten years that we have run the festival we have established some firm favourites, like the Walney Sunset walk with Richard Scott and John Murphy's walk to Piel Island. It wouldn't be a festival without them."
"We also look for something new every time and this year there is a fascinating walk with Rod White round Barrow's cemetery to mark the centenary of the commencement of World War 1, looking at the gravestones and hearing the amazing war time stories of some of the people who are buried there.”
"At other events you can dip for sea creatures or take a walk from one railway station to another with the Outthere project.”
"That's why I am so excited about this festival."
The launch will take place at 11.30am tomorrow.
Details of all walks are available on line at www.barrowtourism.co.uk
First published at 09:48, Tuesday, 03 June 2014
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
Visit our websites for...
- Ulverston gridlock driver prosecuted (58 comments)
- Barrow workers wait to hear about Tesco closures (23 comments)
- Barrow shipyard workers face ballot on seven-day week pay deal (41 comments)
- Car and motorbike crash on A590 between Lindal and Dalton
- Full story - 150 jobs to be axed at Barrow factory (9 comments)
- Barrow MP challenges ‘eccentric’ Russell to Trident showdown (3 comments)
- Angry Barrow families protest against minibus charges for nurseries (1 comment)
- Major development for Furness Enterprise
- Dolan aims to build on Barrow Raiders start (1 comment)
- Keswick to Barrow walk now fully subscribed (3 comments)
Post 16 education
A new year - a new you
Light up a life
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|