Funeral of Cumbria boy shot dead
Last updated at 11:22, Wednesday, 11 December 2013
A BOY from Cumbria who was shot dead in an incident on a farm was laid to rest yesterday.
Edward Gabbert, 15, of Panel Holme Farm, Ulpha, died at Royal Manchester Children’s Hospital on November 22.
Edward, who attended Millom School, was shot at approximately 11pm on November 21 when he was on farmland in the Ulpha area. He was believed to be helping two men who were culling vermin.
Edward’s funeral took place yesterday, with a special tractor tribute.
The Millom and Ulpha communities rallied round to support the family in the wake of the tragedy.
Millom school representatives were due to attend yesterday’s funeral.
Students from the school are in discussions about what would be the most fitting tribute to Edward.
The executive head, Ian Smith, and Simon Laheney, head of school of Millom School, previously issued the following tribute to Edward: “Edward was a popular student, mature, immensely loyal to his friends and a real Cumbrian.
“A true individual and lover of the great outdoors, Edward always knew his own mind and it’s fair to say his passions lay outside school, but he always had great relationships with the staff at school who knew him.”
Edward is survived by his mother Eleanor, father Andrew, brother Ian and sister Fiona.
- A 35-year-old man from Barrow was arrested on suspicion of manslaughter. He has been released on bail until January. Police said investigations into the incident are continuing.
First published at 11:49, Tuesday, 10 December 2013
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
- Email us
- Send us your pictures
- Send us your news
- Send us your views
- Staff contacts
- Advertise with us
- Family Notices
- Reader Travel
- Competition rules
- CN Letterbox
- Find It in Furness
- CV Link
- Online shop
- CN Research
- Eye Care Savings
- Halifax loans
Visit our websites for...
- Two teachers suspended from Barrow school (11 comments)
- Last-minute agony for Barrow Raiders (4 comments)
- UPDATE SUNDAY 2.40PM: A595 closed in Cumbria - roadworks location switched (1 comment)
- Tributes paid to Barrow father of twins killed in collision on main road (8 comments)
- Revealed: who will get superfast broadband in Cumbria (4 comments)
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|