Funding secured for Barrow private school to become free
Last updated at 15:27, Tuesday, 03 June 2014
FUNDING which guarantees a private school in Barrow can scrap its fees and become free to attend has been secured.
The government confirmed that Chetwynde School had been awarded the day-to-day funding that allows it to become a free school from September.
Headteacher Russell Collier said that while the funding was essentially not in doubt following an agreement with the Department for Education last May, it was fantastic to get it sealed.
He said: “It is now 100 per cent certain. There are no legal obstacles or anything which is going to stop the school converting to a free school in September, so it’s full steam ahead.”
The funding guarantee means parents who had applied for their children to join the school and been given two offers by the local authority can now confirm their interest to join Chetwynde.
Around 430 pupils will be at the school from September, building towards the new capacity of 508. The school historically has had more than 500 pupils. But the number fell over the past eight years, dropping to as low as 200, which prompted the school to look at the feasibility of free school status.
Now, the primary school is full, years seven and nine are full and there are only a handful of places left for years eight, 10 and lower sixth form. There will be more than 160 infants, up to 54 in each senior year group and a small academic sixth form of around 70 children.
Around six new members of staff are starting in September, in addition to around 10 new starts who joined ahead of September 2013. As part of the conversion to a free school, a new building to house three design and technology classrooms and three ICT suites will be open by Easter next year.
Mr Collier said: “We have always said from the beginning of this journey that we wanted to offer another option for parents in terms of where they want their children to be educated.
“This has been achieved through a fantastic amount of effort by the staff, governing body, and all the supporters of the school and we are now moving into a new, very exciting chapter in the history of the school.”
First published at 16:03, Tuesday, 27 May 2014
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
- Concerns over increase in violence at Cumbria prison
- Electric barriers result in outrage among Haverigg residents
- Otter found in South Cumbria puddle is now doing swimmingly
- Barrow sports club’s future secured by a new long-term lease
- Askam dad killed by mix of drugs and alcohol
- Record day for young musicians at Ulverston contest
- Race against time to Cumbria and Lancashire save maternity units
- Staff moved to tears by damning report into Barrow maternity failures
- Supermarket approved for Ulverston
- Walney Cents' Finch back for top-of-the-table clash
- Hawcoat Park aim to produce another big home display
- Kirkby look to steer cup treble chasers off course
- Barrow AFC keeper seeks new contract
- Fylde striker and ex-Barrow AFC player warns - title race not over yet
- Aussie ace out to impress for Barrow Raiders
- Top GB prospect backs Barrow fighter
- Charities benefit from Barrow boxing night
- Players Quick off the mark at Furness College: with picture gallery
- Duddon paddlers claim eight first places
Visit our websites for...
- Owners vow to rebuild after alleged drink driver smashes into Barrow chippy (13 comments)
- Starving Ulverston children left ‘looking like urchins from Oliver Twist’
- Walney bridge to close this weekend (42 comments)
- Cyclist still in serious condition following Ulverston crash at the A590 junction
- Barrow hotel to be demolished (39 comments)
Great Daffodil appeal 2015
Homes and gardens 21
Power to switch
Walk to remember
Choosing a secondary school
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|