Continue We want you to get the most out of using this website, which is why we and our partners use cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to receive these cookies. You can find out more about how we use cookies here.

Sunday, 05 July 2015

Subscriptions  |  evouchers  |  Jobs  |  Property  |  Motors  |  Travel  |  Dating  |  Family Notices

Friends speak of a ‘kind-hearted mummy’s boy’ from Millom

WEEKS before a savage attack that resulted in bludgeoning his mother and sister to death, John Jenkin had been trying to get his life in order, handing out CVs to employers around the small town where he grew up.

‘REMORSEFUL’ John Jenkin arriving at Furness Magistrates’ Court on June 10 where he was deemed too much of a risk to appear in the dock. A friend has described the 24-year-old as ‘withdrawn and extremely remorseful’ since the attack HARRY ATKINSON REF: 50049302B000

Friends have spoken of a kind-hearted generous, genuine young man who loved animals and had been a vegetarian for a number of years.

The 24-year-old had enrolled at Furness College where he was beginning to study metalwork and he was sticking to his love of walking.

His friends have spoken of a “generous, loving” person and neighbours noted in the weeks since his return from South Wales he always had his head in a book.

An animal lover from his youth, Jenkin enjoyed walking and had a particularly close relationship with his mother and sister following the death of his father in 2006.

Daniel Taylor first met Jenkin in the Air Cadets when the pair were pupils at Millom School and bonded despite an age gap of four years.

He said: “John is a friendly person who cares about his friends.

“He’s a vegetarian and is very creative. He has a group of friends, here in Barrow and elsewhere, who are very supportive of him.”

In South Wales he had been working as a stage hand at a theatre and was a keen artist as well as playing bass guitar.

Mr Taylor said when Jenkin returned to Millom from South Wales he was happy and calm and there was no indication of any mental health problems.

“The last time I saw John it was about a month before (the attack).

“We were in Millom and we’d seen his mum. We went walking out to Hodbarrow and he was totally himself, as friendly as ever.

“They were a close family, he once told me he was a mummy’s boy.”

Following the attack which left his mother, sister and the family dog Fenn dead, Mr Taylor said Jenkin became extremely withdrawn.

He said: “He didn’t say as much but he writes more regularly, at least one letter a month now and he is extremely remorseful about what’s happened.

“I would say John and his mum were both Christians, that’s the sort of things they would think about.”

Mr Taylor said when he heard the news about the attack on June 8 he was working in Bowness.

He said: “I was working a full night shift and I had a call from a friend – I couldn’t believe it.

“I tried to get him a solicitor but he had been assigned one by the time I could do something.

“I asked if I could be the appointed person to speak with him – I went to the hearing in Barrow court with some other friends.”


North West Evening Mail What's on search

Powered by

Hot Jobs

Loading latest hot jobs...
Powered by Zoopla.co.uk

Featured companies

Searching for featured companies...
Search for:


Are you enjoying the hot weather?



Show Result


Is it time to rethink who sits in the House of Lords?



Show Result

Resource Cumbria

The Forum

F. Dickinson footwear

Homes and gardens 22

To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code

North West Evening Mail

Evening Mail Going Out