Former Barrow Raiders player found dead in Australia
Last updated at 11:32, Monday, 28 April 2014
A FORMER Barrow Raiders player and Ireland forward has died at the age of 32.
Australian-born Ryan Tandy played seven games for the Raiders in the 2005 season before rejoining Whitehaven for a second spell with the West Cumbrians.
Tandy went on to play for Widnes and Doncaster and made 12 Super League appearances for Hull KR in 2007.
He represented Ireland at the 2008 World Cup, playing a key role as Andy Kelly’s men topped their group before being eliminated in the knockout stages by Fiji.
A statement on Rugby League Ireland’s official website said: “Rugby League Ireland would like to pass on our condolences to the family and friends of Ryan Tandy who sadly passed away today in Saratoga, Australia.
“Ryan was a larger than life character and we would like to express our thanks for the commitment during the World Cup.”
Tandy’s career ended in disgrace after being convicted of match-fixing while playing for Canterbury Bulldogs against North Queensland in 2010, with the NRL banning him for life.
Tandy was found dead at his parents' home on the NSW central coast, reportedly after a drug overdose.
First published at 11:31, Monday, 28 April 2014
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
- Alert over door-to-door fish sales in Cumbria
- Sarah Millican Barrow tickets sell out in 45 minutes
- Work on £5m Barrow regeneration project starts this month
- Lake District rescue team assist walkers lost in the dark
- Police appeal after report of inappropriate conduct towards girl in Barrow
- Weather warning for Cumbria - gales expected
- Police investigating collision at Barrow taxi firm
- Pupils hit a high note at South Cumbria Musical Festival
- Concerns over increase in violence at Cumbria prison
- Electric barriers result in outrage among Haverigg residents
- Edmo urges Barrow AFC fans to raise the volume
- Loan ace in line to earn permanent Barrow AFC switch
- Casson confident over Barrow AFC title bid
- Wilson hails Barrow AFC squad strength
- Barrow AFC boss facing selection headaches
- The Weekly Meeks: Bradford clash will be no walk in the Park
- Walney Cents' Finch back for top-of-the-table clash
- Hawcoat Park aim to produce another big home display
- Kirkby look to steer cup treble chasers off course
- Barrow AFC keeper seeks new contract
Visit our websites for...
Great Daffodil appeal 2015
Homes and gardens 21
Power to switch
Walk to remember
Choosing a secondary school
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|