Flag ceremony in Barrow to recognise armed forces
Last updated at 10:46, Wednesday, 18 June 2014
PAST and present servicemen and women are being invited to a ceremony in Barrow to raise the Armed Forces Day flag.
On Monday June 23, the Mayor of Barrow, Councillor Marie Derbyshire, will host a ceremony in the Town Hall courtyard for the handover and raising of the Armed Forces Day flag in Barrow.
The ceremony will begin at 9.45am and the flag will be presented, taken inside the Town Hall and flown off the flag pole.
The event will feature a short blessing by Reverend Gary Cregeen and a silence in remembrance of the fallen in military conflicts.
Union Jack hand waving flags will be given to any members of the public who wish to watch the ceremony.
A statement by Combined Services Veterans said: “We are very grateful to Barrow Council for flying the Armed Forces Day flag from the Town Hall in celebration of the veterans who have served our country over many, many years.”
This year Armed Forces Day will take place on Saturday June 28.
First published at 10:44, Wednesday, 18 June 2014
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
- Cumbria rescuers called to 69-year-old man stuck on mountain
- Warning of traders selling mattresses door to door in Barrow
- Five parents faced ‘home alone’ probe in Cumbria
- Cumbria victim attacked as she breastfed baby
- Barrow children paid tribute to caretaker who died from a brain tumour
- Ulverston gala event provides fitting end to Cumbria music festival
- Number of recorded rapes up by more than half in Cumbria
- Big swing would be required for red seat to change colour
- Curbing violence is key aim at Cumbria prison
- Otter found in Cumbria puddle is now doing swimmingly
- Edmo: Barrow AFC can handle the pressure
- Edgy Barrow AFC draw a blank against Bradford Park Avenue (5 comments)
- Walney Central move to top of table after home win
- Barrow boxer Liam has to settle for a draw
- Late goal sees Kirkby United book place in trophy final
- Edgy Barrow AFC draw a blank against gutsy Bradford
- Edmo urges Barrow AFC fans to raise the volume (1 comment)
- Loan ace in line to earn permanent Barrow AFC switch
- Casson confident over Barrow AFC title bid
- Wilson hails Barrow AFC squad strength
Visit our websites for...
Great Daffodil appeal 2015
Homes and gardens 21
Power to switch
Walk to remember
Choosing a secondary school
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|