Fire on Barrow nuclear submarine
Last updated at 08:58, Sunday, 03 May 2009
FIRE crews were called to the BAE Systems Astute nuclear-powered submarine in Barrow yesterday (Saturday) after a report of a small fire.
BAE Systems said the small incident involved a plastic-covered hammer handle inside a welding bag, which was dealt with quickly.
The company followed fire procedures and staff evacuated the £1.2bn sub, which is moored in the dock at Barrow shipyard.
BAE said a yard worker used an extinguisher on the bag and put out the fire.
Barrow fire service attended the incident at 12.30pm and also used their safety equipment.
A spokeswoman for BAE said: “There has been no damage, no costs and no change to the programme.
“It was literally the handle of a hammer in a bag. It is standard practice to evacuate the area.”
The company said there will be an assessment of the incident that was in the back section of the sub.
Two weeks ago Astute suffered a blaze on the top of the fin, or conning tower.
There was also a fire inside the Devonshire Dock Hall on the second of class Ambush on March 30. That fire was caused by welding sparks igniting external tiles but was put out without serious damage.
First published at 11:59, Friday, 01 May 2009
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Visit our websites for...
Go green 34
Travel the globe
Go green 33
Homes and gardens
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|