Final turbine installed at wind farm project off Barrow coast
Last updated at 13:46, Wednesday, 18 June 2014
THE team behind a wind farm project off the coast of Barrow are celebrating after the installation of the final turbine.
The West of Duddon Sands offshore wind farm has successfully hoisted its 108th turbine into position at the 389MW project.
John Hill, project director for West of Duddon Sands at DONG Energy, said: “We’re delighted to have reached this huge milestone at this project, and it is a testament to the great work of the West of Duddon Sands teams in Barrow and Belfast that this final installation has gone so smoothly. There has been a lot of hard work from everyone on the project to get to this point.
“Now our focus turns to finishing the commissioning work on the rest of the turbines, getting them up and running and delivering power to the UK grid.”
Charlie Jordan, ScottishPower Renewables Project Director, said: “It is a fantastic achievement to complete turbine installation on West of Duddon Sands.
“We faced some very challenging conditions, including one of the stormiest winters in recent history, but managed to continue working on schedule.
“Over 1,000 people have been employed on this project, and everyone has worked incredibly hard to help us reach this milestone.”
Commissioning work is expected to be finished by the end of the year.
The West of Duddon Sands offshore wind farm is being run from a dedicated £4m operations and maintenance base in Barrow. The offshore wind farm is a joint venture between DONG Energy and ScottishPower Renewables.
Offshore work of foundation and turbine installation was carried out by two of the world’s most advanced installation vessels working in tandem: Swire Blue Ocean’s Pacific Orca and the Sea Installer – owned by A2SEA.
Siemens are supplying and commissioning the 3.6MW turbines.
First published at 13:41, Wednesday, 18 June 2014
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Visit our websites for...
- Ulverston gridlock driver prosecuted (58 comments)
- Barrow workers wait to hear about Tesco closures (23 comments)
- Barrow shipyard workers face ballot on seven-day week pay deal (41 comments)
- Car and motorbike crash on A590 between Lindal and Dalton
- Full story - 150 jobs to be axed at Barrow factory (9 comments)
- Barrow MP challenges ‘eccentric’ Russell to Trident showdown (3 comments)
- Angry Barrow families protest against minibus charges for nurseries (1 comment)
- Major development for Furness Enterprise
- Dolan aims to build on Barrow Raiders start (1 comment)
- Keswick to Barrow walk now fully subscribed (3 comments)
Post 16 education
A new year - a new you
Light up a life
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|