Fewer drink drivers caught
Published at 16:33, Monday, 24 December 2012
A FESTIVE crackdown on drink drivers has caught fewer offenders than last year.
Two weeks into the drink drive campaign and 587 drivers have been breathalysed in Cumbria, with nine people (1.5 per cent of those tested) found over the drink drive limit.
Last year, after two weeks 684 people were breathalysed, with 15 people testing positive, which was just over two per cent.
Over the next few days people will be celebrating Christmas and driving to visit friends and family, where the temptation to have an alcoholic drink can become harder to resist.
Having a drink at one house and then driving to visit someone else and having another could easily tip you over the limit and put your life, the lives of your passengers and also other road users at risk.
Inspector David Bosson, from Cumbria’s Road’s Policing Unit, said: “Drink driving does have devastating consequences.
“The message is clear and simple – don’t do it, it is not worth it.
“The figures so far are low, which is good news, but it is still disappointing that people are taking a risk and driving whilst under the influence of alcohol.
“If you are visiting people over Christmas and are a designated driver, don’t risk having an alcoholic drink. Be sensible and leave it until you are not driving anymore. It is easy to make alternative arrangements to get home. Don’t ruin your Christmas or the Christmas of others by making a decision to drive whilst under the influence.
“By making alternative driving arrangements or taking the responsibility for being a designated driver seriously, you could prevent an accident and potentially save a life.’’
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
- Email us
- Send us your pictures
- Send us your news
- Send us your views
- Staff contacts
- Advertise with us
- Family Notices
- Reader Travel
- Competition rules
- CN Letterbox
- Find It in Furness
- CV Link
- Online shop
- CN Research
- Eye Care Savings
- Halifax loans
Visit our websites for...
- Tributes paid to Barrow father of twins killed in collision on main road (4 comments)
- Carlisle woman punched man she was about to have sex with
- Woman fined for being drunk in charge of children in Barrow supermarket
- Barrow teen gives no indication of plea for assault on two women
- Hundreds attend funeral of inspiring Barrow PE teacher (3 comments)
- Uproar at Barrow service charge hikes vote (3 comments)
- New Ulverston group may take charge of town car parks (8 comments)
- Barrow man jailed for animal cruelty (22 comments)
- Barrow duo in court over cemetery shooting (11 comments)
- Barrow dad killed in Cumbria crash named (12 comments)
- Sellafield deer cull plans are branded ‘absurd’ (7 comments)
- Immigrant stole whisky worth £1,080 from Barrow store (6 comments)
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|