Festive fun on park run
Published at 16:39, Monday, 31 December 2012
A WEEKLY fun run had a bit more fun than usual when entrants decked themselves out in festive attire.
By Ross Tyson
More than 50 runners turned out when the Barrow Parkrun held its penultimate event of the year on the Saturday before Christmas.
Entrants – who ranged from serious athletes to casual joggers – were encouraged to wear fancy dress.
The 5km course was won by Callum Baynes, whose Rudolph outfit did nothing to slow him down, finishing in a brisk time of 19m 17s.
Parkrun’s publicity officer, Fiona Wilson, said she was delighted with the turnout given the foul weather.
“We have it every Saturday morning and because it’s Christmas we just thought it would be fun to have people dressed up,” she said.
The race was not without drama, however, with 72-year-old runner Neil Stirling taking a tumble in the slippery conditions.
But fortunately event director and doctor Andy Young was on-hand and Mr Stirling was treated and able to complete the course.
The Parkrun is held every Saturday at Barrow Park from 9am.
Entry is free each week and the event is open to runners of all standards.
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Visit our websites for...
- Vickerstown FC pay tribute to 'Fozzy' and 'Jonno' (1 comment)
- Action group formed to fight Barrow road being closed to vehicles (16 comments)
- Independent chairwoman to oversee improvements at Barrow hospital trust
- UPDATE: Warning to Cumbria motorists travelling south - tailbacks on M6 (2 comments)
- Slices of Barrow social history go under hammer at auction (2 comments)
Go green 34
Travel the globe
Go green 33
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|