Ex-businessman from Cumbria accused of sex offences
Last updated at 16:33, Friday, 05 July 2013
THE trial of a former businessman charged with sexually abusing three girls decades ago began yesterday.
Martin Phillips, 42, of Main Street, Haverigg, appeared before a jury at Barrow Crown Court charged with two counts of indecency with a child and one count of indecent assault.
The charges were brought last year after the complainants went to the police.
It is claimed that Phillips, the former owner of Devonshire Saw Mill in Millom, committed the alleged offences in Bootle in the late 1980s and in 1990. The charge of indecent assault and one charge of indecency with a child allegedly took place against two girls, aged five and seven, in a house.
The court heard one of the girls was allegedly told that if she went to her parents the defendant would “make up a lie that she had been wetting her knickers”.
The other charge of indecency with a child is alleged to have involved a girl aged between nine and 12.
The first witness, a female aged seven at the time of the alleged abuse, was due to give evidence to the court today.
Mr Andrew Lodge, prosecuting, said: “This is important evidence, as it goes to show that these are not recently fabricated allegations.
“Each of these girls have told other people, even when they didn’t know that other allegations had been made.”
Mr Lodge said that in the case of the two girls neither of them was aware the defendant had allegedly abused the other – until a conversation last year. Phillips denies all the charges.
- Cumbria accused tells court abuse claims are part of ‘vendetta’
- Cumbria child sex abuse accused ‘exposed himself to girl’
- Husband of Cumbria sexual abuse ‘victim’ provides evidence
First published at 16:39, Tuesday, 02 July 2013
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
Visit our websites for...
- Barrow pub boss assaulted in stag night bar brawl
- Immigration officers arrest three men in raid on Chinese restaurant in Barrow
- Cumbria rail services back to normal after person struck by train
- Disabled Barrow man ‘happy’ as attackers sent to prison
- UPDATE: Cumbria road re-opens after crash, man taken to hospital with serious injuries
Go green 34
Travel the globe
Go green 33
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|