Ex-Barrow Raiders boss stops traffic in town centre
Last updated at 13:59, Wednesday, 14 March 2012
KEEN horse racing enthusiast and former Barrow Raiders chief Des Johnston nearly missed the start of the Cheltenham Festival – after his car broke down in traffic.
Although not a Friday, Tuesday 13th proved unlucky for Mr Johnston.
He brought traffic to a standstill in Abbey Road, Barrow, at around 12.15pm yesterday when his Aston Martin car stopped dead at traffic lights, next to Emlyn Hughes House. He said: “I just accelerated away from the lights when next thing it seized up and my air bags blew out on me and there was smoke everywhere.”
Mr Johnston said the drive shaft in his car broke and he jarred his wrists in the process. But worst of all, he said: “I nearly didn’t make it home in time for the start of the Cheltenham Festival.”
His luck was back in, though, as he backed the first winner to help cover the cost of the repairs.
First published at 13:07, Wednesday, 14 March 2012
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Visit our websites for...
- Ulverston gridlock driver prosecuted (58 comments)
- Barrow workers wait to hear about Tesco closures (23 comments)
- Barrow shipyard workers face ballot on seven-day week pay deal (41 comments)
- Car and motorbike crash on A590 between Lindal and Dalton
- Full story - 150 jobs to be axed at Barrow factory (9 comments)
- Trident rally wraps scarf around MoD (7 comments)
Post 16 education
A new year - a new you
Light up a life
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|