Ex Barrow footballer passes cash to charities
Last updated at 17:01, Wednesday, 15 January 2014
A FORMER Barrow footballer has made a generous donation to a charity, using money raised from his birthday party.
Tommy Managh, who played for Barrow AFC, donated £225 raised at his birthday celebrations to the British Heart Foundation.
Mr Managh, who held the party for his 60th birthday last week, opted for charitable donations instead of presents, splitting the £450 he received down the middle, giving the other half to Macmillan Cancer Trust.
A cheque was awarded to the BHF on Friday and the staff are very pleased with the donation.
Yvonne Tippett, of Barrow, manages the BHF shop in Dalton Road, and was thrilled with Mr Managh’s birthday idea.
She said: “I think it’s great. You get to a certain age and you don’t really need anything anymore, so I think it’s a really good idea to get donations for a charity instead. It happens quite often now. A lot of people do it instead of getting presents.
“We hope that Mr Managh and others’ generosity inspire others to do the same thing.”
Mr Managh’s birthday was shortly before Christmas, but celebrations were postponed to January.
First published at 16:29, Wednesday, 15 January 2014
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Tommy was a Full back during 72 and 73 seasons he scored 50 goals in 50 games for Barrow he was a 'good un!'. He coached the 1990 Trophy side with Stan Casey and tought the Doc how to cross a ball. He still gets to every home game to this day. He rates himself better than Emlyn Hughes and says Emlyn was just luckier than him at the Blackpool trial they went to together. Good lad Tom keep the drawings coming as Mike Dennisons apprentice.
Make your comment
- A 26-YEAR-OLD Barrow man has been jailed today for allowing two dogs to attack a sheep while a pal filmed and narrated the horrific incident
- All action from the Evening Mail’s poll vaults
- Walney pupils rally round to tackle grot spot
- Barrow Sea Cadets launch litter mission
- Barrow mum will tackle 40-mile walk to remember her one-year-old (2 comments)
- Child vandals hurl object at Barrow bus
- Millom boy's rare illness progress
- Legal high clampdown at Cumbria festival (2 comments)
- Barrow Sister Act performers show why they’re second to nun
- Evening Mail readers highlight their most important policy areas in online poll
- Barrow Raiders boss pays tribute to Danny Jones
- Haworth wants Barrow AFC deal
- Hero Declan does the trick for Cents
- Rhiann earns GB call-up as Duddon paddlers shine
- Barrow social club pockets snooker tables from mystery man
- Barrow school make netball history
- Hawcoat claim bowling bragging rights
- Seasons to be cheerful for Furness footballers
- Big money Barrow snooker comp returns
- Lacey keen to taste Conference life with Barrow AFC (1 comment)