Ex Barrow footballer passes cash to charities
Last updated at 17:01, Wednesday, 15 January 2014
A FORMER Barrow footballer has made a generous donation to a charity, using money raised from his birthday party.
Tommy Managh, who played for Barrow AFC, donated £225 raised at his birthday celebrations to the British Heart Foundation.
Mr Managh, who held the party for his 60th birthday last week, opted for charitable donations instead of presents, splitting the £450 he received down the middle, giving the other half to Macmillan Cancer Trust.
A cheque was awarded to the BHF on Friday and the staff are very pleased with the donation.
Yvonne Tippett, of Barrow, manages the BHF shop in Dalton Road, and was thrilled with Mr Managh’s birthday idea.
She said: “I think it’s great. You get to a certain age and you don’t really need anything anymore, so I think it’s a really good idea to get donations for a charity instead. It happens quite often now. A lot of people do it instead of getting presents.
“We hope that Mr Managh and others’ generosity inspire others to do the same thing.”
Mr Managh’s birthday was shortly before Christmas, but celebrations were postponed to January.
First published at 16:29, Wednesday, 15 January 2014
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Tommy was a Full back during 72 and 73 seasons he scored 50 goals in 50 games for Barrow he was a 'good un!'. He coached the 1990 Trophy side with Stan Casey and tought the Doc how to cross a ball. He still gets to every home game to this day. He rates himself better than Emlyn Hughes and says Emlyn was just luckier than him at the Blackpool trial they went to together. Good lad Tom keep the drawings coming as Mike Dennisons apprentice.
Make your comment
- Big swing would be required for red seat to change colour
- Otter found in Cumbria puddle is now doing swimmingly
- Police scour CCTV footage in bid to find Barrow assault suspect
- Barrow man smashed girlfriend’s car while fleeing police
- Alert over door-to-door fish sales in Cumbria (1 comment)
- Sarah Millican Barrow tickets sell out in 45 minutes (2 comments)
- Work on £5m Barrow regeneration project starts this month (2 comments)
- Lake District rescue team assist walkers lost in the dark (1 comment)
- Police appeal after report of inappropriate conduct towards girl in Barrow
- Weather warning for Cumbria - gales expected
- Barrow AFC held by Bradford Park Avenue (3 comments)
- Edmo urges Barrow AFC fans to raise the volume (1 comment)
- Loan ace in line to earn permanent Barrow AFC switch
- Casson confident over Barrow AFC title bid
- Wilson hails Barrow AFC squad strength
- Barrow AFC boss facing selection headaches
- The Weekly Meeks: Bradford clash will be no walk in the Park
- Walney Cents' Finch back for top-of-the-table clash
- Hawcoat Park aim to produce another big home display
- Kirkby look to steer cup treble chasers off course