Ex BAE Systems Barrow shipyard worker, 39, died after drunken fall against fireplace
Last updated at 21:31, Tuesday, 20 August 2013
A BARROW father of two who had a binge drinking problem bled to death after hitting his head against a fireplace at his home, an inquest has found.
Marcus Dixon, 39, of Maple Street in Ormsgill, Barrow, died from a head wound because he did not realise how serious his injury was due to his drunken state.
Mr Dixon’s body was discovered by friends, Nigel and Janine Merchant, on November 8.
Mr Merchant told an inquest at Barrow Town Hall yesterday that Mr Dixon was heavily drinking again.
He and his wife visited Mr Dixon to check on him at 8pm, but discovered that the downstairs lights to his property weren’t working.
He said: “I went out to get my work torch. While downstairs, Janine shone the torch near the fireplace and there was a pool of blood.
“It was everywhere. It was evident that he had injured himself.
“We followed a trail of blood upstairs. Janine went into the bedroom and shouted: ‘He’s dead, he’s dead’.
“I knew he was dead but I didn’t want to believe it. I went in and saw him on the bed with his head on the mattress.
“I tried to shake him. It was just awful.”
DS Mike Wallace, of Cumbria Police, said empty bottles of cider were found after a search of the property.
He said there was no evidence of third-party involvement.
In a medical report read to the hearing, Dr Alison Palmer ruled that a wound to the left of Mr Dixon’s forehead was the cause of death.
She said: “The amount of blood loss was severe enough to cause death.
“Often, drunk people don’t seek medical advice and die as a direct result.”
She ruled Mr Dixon’s “fatty” liver, a result of his heavy drinking, was a contributing factor to his death.
Mr Dixon’s mother, Jacqueline Bryden, of Victoria Avenue, said her son had developed a drinking problem after two traumatic years, during which his relationship had broken down, his father had died and he had lost his job in Barrow’s shipyard.
Mrs Bryden told the inquest: “Marcus tried every avenue open to him to stop drinking.
“He went for therapy, he visited an addiction specialist, he took medication.
“He didn’t want to be an alcoholic. It humiliated him.
“I think that’s why he shut himself away from everything.
“When things got too much for him, Marcus told me he had to shut his brain off so he would drink solidly for seven to 10 days until his body couldn’t take it anymore.”
She told the inquest that Mr Dixon was admitted to hospital on several occasions, sustaining cuts and bruises after injuring himself from falling over.
“One time, he had fallen right down the stairs but fortunately because he was drunk, he was so floppy that he didn’t hurt himself,” she said.
Assistant coroner Alan Sharp recorded a verdict of accidental death.
He concluded: “Some time prior to November 8, Marcus injured himself by falling, probably on the fire in the living room.
“From there he continued to bleed until his death. It was a tragic incident.
“He was not in a position where he could realise how severely injured he was.”
First published at 16:00, Tuesday, 20 August 2013
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
RIP Marcus, I hope you've found peace X