Evidence used to jail Barrow wife-killer is probed
Last updated at 08:48, Tuesday, 21 January 2014
EVIDENCE used to jail Barrow wife-killer Gordon Park is still being investigated by an independent watchdog.
The former Barrow teacher’s family launched a fresh bid to clear his name in 2010.
The Criminal Cases Review Commission says it cannot say how long the probe will take but added that it had been under active investigation for some time.
It will look at all the evidence and police files to see if the case should go before the Court of Appeal.
The CCRC investigates miscarriages of justice in the UK. It rarely considers cases in which the person has died.
Last year an inquest jury in Preston ruled that Park had killed himself. Park was found asphyxiated in his cell four years ago this month at HMP Garth in Leyland, Lancashire, where he was serving a life sentence for murdering his first wife Carol Park.
He bludgeoned her to death with an ice axe at their family home in Leece in 1976. He dumped her body in Coniston Water.
Park was jailed for life for his wife’s murder in January 2005 to serve a minimum of 15 years, but always maintained his innocence.
A CCRC spokesman said: “Our investigation is ongoing. We tend not to make predictions about how long an investigation is likely to take. The case is under active investigation and has been for some time.”
First published at 16:13, Monday, 20 January 2014
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Visit our websites for...
- Ulverston man found dead in layby (1 comment)
- UPDATE: South Cumbria woman killed in crash (16 comments)
- Barrow store to sell off stock in closing down sale (9 comments)
- Pub chain’s £3.5m hotel bid for Barrow granted (11 comments)
- Barrow paedophile trio sentenced
- Hunt for Nigel Farage Barrow gnome villain
- BIG DEBATE: Is parking outside schools in Barrow and Furness a big problem? (3 comments)
- Mother of tasered Barrow bodybuilder Dale Burns leads calls for ban
- Barrow pair admitted to stealing items from Oxfam charity collection (2 comments)
- Bradley Wiggins set to bring team to Barrow (3 comments)
- Wig wearing Barrow MP in fresh challenge to comedian Russell Brand (69 comments)
- Fan’s campaign to honour Barrow footballing hero with statue (27 comments)
- Dalton secondary school relaxes coat rules as temperatures plunge (24 comments)
- Barrow set for pound shop wars as chain plans store (26 comments)
Walk to remember
Choosing a secondary school
Homes and Gardens
Post 16 education
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|