Continue We want you to get the most out of using this website, which is why we and our partners use cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to receive these cookies. You can find out more about how we use cookies here.

Friday, 29 May 2015

Subscriptions  |  evouchers  |  Jobs  |  Property  |  Motors  |  Travel  |  Dating  |  Family Notices

Drunk man floored teens in Barrow street attack

A DRUNK Barrow man punched two teenagers in an unprovoked street attack moments after he had been thrown out of a pub following an all-day session.

Mark McAlinden
Mark McAlinden

Mark McAlinden, 36, had drank 15 pints of lager when he attacked John Cotter, 19, and a 15-year-old boy in Dalton Road, Barrow, at around 8.30pm on March 11.

Mr John Appleby, prosecuting, told Furness Magistrates’ Court McAlinden had been thrown out of a pub. He said the teens had been in the town centre with friends when McAlinden approached them. He was initially friendly and joked, but then said he wanted to fight.

Following an apparent change of heart, McAlinden went to shake Mr Cotter’s hand and said he no longer wanted any trouble. But, Mr Appleby said, as he was shaking hands, McAlinden punched Mr Cotter in the face with his other clenched fist, causing him to fall to the ground.

The 15-year-old boy was shocked when he saw Mr Cotter attacked and said “there’s no need for that”, before McAlinden also punched him and knocked him to the floor. Both teens had reddening of the face and the injuries felt tender.

A witness told police he had seen the defendant drunk and become increasingly aggressive in the pub prior to the incident. During his interview with police, McAlinden said he had been drinking since lunchtime, had sunk around 15 pints of lager and had no recollection of what happened.

McAlinden, of Chester Street, Barrow, admitted two counts of assault. The court heard he had a lengthy record for offences of violence. Mr Andrew Gibson, defending, told the court on Thursday: “His last offence of violence was sentenced in January 2007 and happened in 2006 some eight years ago. With regard to this particular incident, he has no recollection whatsoever. It has rather shocked him. He tells me he was drinking very heavily, but now it’s just an occasional thing.

“In interview, he said he couldn’t remember anything, but he did show concern about whether the two lads had been injured.”

The case was adjourned until April 29 for a pre-sentence report. McAlinden was bailed.


North West Evening Mail What's on search

Powered by

Hot Jobs

Loading latest hot jobs...
Powered by Zoopla.co.uk

Featured companies

Searching for featured companies...
Search for:


Should Britain have a referendum on staying the EU?



Show Result

Resource Cumbria

The Forum

F. Dickinson footwear

Homes and gardens 22

To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code

North West Evening Mail

Evening Mail Going Out