Drunk Bootle man hit partner in face
Last updated at 16:49, Wednesday, 05 September 2012
A MAN punched his girlfriend in the face after drinking more than 16 cans of lager, a court heard.
Furness Magistrates’ Court was told Kevin Hartley, from Barfield Barn, Bootle, had fallen into the habit of drinking excessively, getting through as many as 70 cans a week in the run-up to the assault.
A means form the 26-year-old completed for the court revealed he spent £45 every week on drink and tobacco alone.
Mrs Lisa Hine, prosecuting, said Hartley and his partner had been in a relationship for about two years, but his heavy drinking had “affected his behaviour to her and how he conducted himself”.
On June 16, the day before the assault, Hartley had drunk 16 cans and wanted to drive to Millom to get more, Mrs Hine said.
However, his partner did not want to let him drive and took away his car keys.
A row developed before Hartley was given a lift to Millom by a neighbour.
He returned at 3am very drunk and demanding more beer and consumed more cans.
Mrs Hine said: “(His partner) came downstairs and he became abusive.
“He punched her in the face causing her face to bleed.”
In a statement read to the court, Hartley admitted punching his partner once in the face and injuring her lip and said he wanted to get help with his drinking problem.
Chairman of the bench, Mr Les Johnson, sentenced Hartley to a 12-month community order, with a 12 months’ supervision requirement and a requirement to complete the Thinking Skills programme.
He was also recommended to undertake an alcohol treatment programme and ordered to pay £450 costs.
First published at 16:36, Wednesday, 05 September 2012
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Visit our websites for...
- Mother of tasered Barrow bodybuilder Dale Burns leads calls for ban
- Barrow pair admitted to stealing items from Oxfam charity collection (2 comments)
- Charity shop opens in Barrow to support families of war heroes
- Bradley Wiggins set to bring team to Barrow (1 comment)
- X Factor star surprises young Barrow fans (1 comment)
- Ulverston man found dead in layby (1 comment)
- UPDATE: South Cumbria woman killed in crash (16 comments)
- Barrow store to sell off stock in closing down sale (9 comments)
- Pub chain’s £3.5m hotel bid for Barrow granted (11 comments)
- Barrow paedophile trio sentenced
Choosing a secondary school
Homes and Gardens
Post 16 education
A new year - a new you
Light up a life
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|