Drinks deal referred
Published at 15:51, Friday, 15 February 2013
A £1.4BN deal to merge Robinsons squash maker Britvic and Irn-Bru owner AG Barr has been referred to the Competition Commission.
The Office of Fair Trading said it could not rule out the possibility of higher prices after surveys suggested Britvic’s brands Pepsi and Tango were sufficiently close alternatives to Irn-Bru to raise competition concerns.
Amelia Fletcher, OFT chief economist, said: “The soft drinks industry is an important one for many consumers in Great Britain. People spend over £9bn each year on these drinks.
“This merger will see the UK market reduce from three to two main players.”
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Visit our websites for...
- Barrow Raiders edge past Gloucestershire in cup (8 comments)
- Free dog healthcheck after Barrow's deadly parvo outbreak
- Trust running Furness General Hospital misses waiting times target for A&E - again
- Millom recycling centre closed for "urgent works"
- Low water temperature closes Furness swimming pool
Walk to remember
Choosing a secondary school
Homes and Gardens
Post 16 education
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|