Doctor steps down to take national role
Published at 16:20, Wednesday, 23 January 2013
A TOP doctor is stepping down from his role promoting public health in Cumbria to take up a prestigious national position.
Professor John Ashton has been elected as the new president of the UK Faculty for Public Health (FPH) of the Royal College of Physicians.
He will lead the FPH, which sets the standards for specialists in public health across the UK, for three years from 2013 to 2016.
The appointment means the well-respected doctor is stepping down from his position as Cumbria’s director of public health.
Prof Ashton, who was awarded the CBE in 1996 for outstanding service to the NHS, has worked in the county for seven years.
Ian Gordon, chairman of NHS Cumbria, said: “John has been a tremendous leader and advocate for better health in Cumbria.
“Through some of Cumbria’s darkest days, from the terrible floods of 2009 to the appalling shootings in West Cumbria, he has demonstrated great leadership and experience.
“His election to become president of the prestigious UK Faculty of Public Health is well-deserved.”
As Prof Ashton departs, Doctor Rebecca Wagstaff, Cumbria’s deputy director of public health, will become interim director.
Her role will involve completing the transfer of local public health responsibilities and staff to Cumbria County Council, as part of the national NHS reforms.
Prof Ashton said: “Leaving what I have loved doing for the last seven years will be hard but I am enormously reassured that public health in Cumbria will be in Dr Rebecca Wagstaff’s hands.
“It has been an enormous privilege to work in Cumbria with so many great people.
“I am very honoured to have been elected by my peers to this national position.
“Advancing the cause of public health is something I have dedicated my life to, and I am looking forward to supporting public health consultants and specialists across the UK over the next three years.
“This will also give me the opportunity to influence the public health agenda across government and beyond.”
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
- Thomas The Tank Engine’s birthday has special significance for Cumbria
- Roadworks on A595 near Sellafield to start next week
- M6 lane reopens after multi-vehicle accident
- Girl airlifted to hospital after horse fall in Cumbria
- Lindale mum's hope after 'hellish nightmare' experience of Windermere sailor's death
- Haverigg cellmates on ‘Chicken Wing’ hatch cracking business plan
- WITH VIDEO: South Cumbria ‘Cinderella’ star wows Britain’s Got Talent judges
- Effort to unite woman with camera found in Windermere goes viral
- Much-loved Barrow family man turned into firework
- Mystery menace sends men to Barrow grandma’s house for sex
- Barrow Raiders unveil new youth plans (2 comments)
- Windermere win for Silecroft and Barrow trio
- Medal magic for Barrow martial arts masters
- Barrow Striders leap to success
- Stan shines for Walney in Ulverston League
- Walney fishing comp offers up £1,000 prize
- Moffatt in Fantasy land at Cartmel: with picture gallery
- Record prize money on offer for Cartmel in 2015
- Grand National winner plots Cartmel success
- Walney beat Millom in Barton Townley Cup thriller
- Reply pleasing and surprising
- FOOD REVIEW: The Wheatsheaf Inn, Brigsteer (1 comment)
- From trenches to Dunkirk role
- Sad end for village lad who lasted 24 days in trenches
- Soldiers facing a daily struggle
- Three dozen killed in hospital ship attack
- Shock to system as men from India face snow
- Sub-aqua delivery on stamp anniversary
- WEDDING ALBUM: Michelle Fredericks and Matthew Wilson
- Super South Cumbria holiday weekend for live music
Visit our websites for...
- Thousands backing campaign to make Cumbria Scottish (137 comments)
- Conservative Stevenson retains Carlisle (105 comments)
- Carlisle Utd in further talks with "billionaire"
- Stagecoach making changes to bus routes across Carlisle (35 comments)
- Action to tackle starling problem in Carlisle city centre (25 comments)
F. Dickinson footwear
Homes and gardens 22
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|