Diamond prize for best-dressed lady at Cartmel races
Last updated at 14:25, Saturday, 02 June 2012
THE fashion stakes will be high at a glamorous jubilee racing event where the best dressed lady competition winner will walk away wearing £5,000-worth of sparkling diamonds.
Cartmel Racecourse is staging The North West Evening Mail Ladies Night on Derby Day today (Saturday), the first of its three Diamond Jubilee race meetings.
A team of judges will be stalking the enclosures selecting the best dressed ladies on the racecourse. In the event of poor weather the judges will be looking for the most stylish wet weather outfit and fanciest wellies.
The shortlisted lucky ladies will be randomly allocated a horse to represent them in the Wave Jewellery race, which is under starters orders at 7.45pm.
The lady with the winning horse will be presented with the Wave Jewellery diamonds.
The runner up wins a night for two at the Swan Hotel and Spa at Newby Bridge. All the selected ladies will win a bottle of champagne.
Phoebe designer fashion boutique, in Potters Court, Ulverston, and The Hat Box, in Rawlinson Street, Barrow, have put together some stunning outfits for the Evening Mail to offer some helpful fashion ideas for ladies looking for that perfect raceday outfit.
Phoebe owner, Dawn Fitzgerald, and qualified couture milliner Tracy Wells, of The Hat Box, regularly work together to assist ladies attending races, weddings and special occasions, to get their style spot on with an exclusive outfit.
Phoebe customer Jayne Smith, of Ulverston, modelled a selection of beautiful Joseph Ribkoff and Michaela Louisa dresses, matched with fabulous bespoke hats and fascinators. Mrs Wells, who also hires hats, can be visited by appointment only.
Mrs Fitzgerald said: “When choosing that perfect outfit for raceday you should always look for something that is chic and glamorous. The featured dresses are fashionable, stylish and made from fabrics which make a girl not only look beautiful, but feel beautiful too.”
Our model was all set for the races in an elegant Michaela Louisa pistachio dress matched perfectly with a fantastic charcoal and green hat.
Mrs Fitzgerald said: “The colour is lovely for this time of year. This 1950s look is very popular because of Kate Middleton. The hat is beautiful and was made to match this dress.”
Gates open at 12pm for The North West Evening Mail Ladies Night on Derby Day. Racegoers can set up a picnic, enjoy the funfair and watch The Investec Derby being screened live from Epsom. The first Cartmel race is at 6.15pm.
First published at 13:18, Friday, 01 June 2012
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
- Success brewing as Hardknott signs prestigious high street deal
- £7,500 pledge to help make Millom ‘danger’ park fit for purpose
- Hundreds lap up Millom Infant School summer entertainment
- Millom Post Office will be closed for up to three weeks during revamp
- Residents of flood-risk Millom set to get emergency plan
- Warning to DIY rat killers in South Cumbria
- PHOTOS: Festival atmosphere marks end of busy year for Barrow college
- Call for CCTV cameras to be installed in Dalton
- Families’ plight as Barrow Foodbank sees numbers soar by a third
- Hundreds want to leave cash-strapped Cumbria authority
- Barrow Raiders show true grit to defeat Newcastle Thunder
- Millom CC blow leaders Dalton away
- Barrow CC pro is star with bat and ball
- Barrow Raiders score thrilling win over Newcastle Thunder - with video highlights (3 comments)
- Wins for Askam and Millom in National Conference
- RAIDERS REVIEW: Time for Barrow Raiders to step it up
- RAIDERS REVIEW: Time to silence Thunder
- Barrow Raiders score thrilling win over Newcastle Thunder
- Moffatt's Royal day at Cartmel: with picture gallery
- Barrow Raiders told to steal Newcastle's Thunder
- WEDDING ALBUM: Sharna Forsyth and James Tyson
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Venice
- FOOD REVIEW: Punchbowl, Crosthwaite
- Time to forge better deal within the EU
- FOOD REVIEW: The Crown, North Scale, Walney
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Bali
- Toddler fights back from heart surgery
- Garden no safe place for birds
- WEDDING ALBUM: Gemma Jones and Craig Brown
- Let’s unite and take on fight together