Developer behind controversial Barrow housing estate defends project
Last updated at 09:22, Friday, 07 March 2014
THE developer hoping to build a controversial 50-home estate on farmland near an historic landmark has defended its plans.
Story Homes has spoken for the first time about its proposals for up to 50 new homes on land at Manor Road/ Rating Lane, Barrow.
Almost 1,500 people have signed a petition to stop the development on the greenfield site next to Barrow Sixth Form College and leading to Furness Abbey.
Story Homes, which screened the opinion of Barrow Borough Council earlier this year, has defended the proposal and revealed it plans to submit a full planning application this summer.
Staff were also due to be at a drop-in consultation event to discuss the project at the Abbey House Hotel between 2pm and 8pm Thursday March 7 2014. A campaign group, with 835 Facebook likes, is concerned about the development’s proximity to the abbey and traffic issues, with the college, Chetwynde and St Bernard’s schools all nearby.
But David Hayward, development planner for Story Homes, said: “We are aware of the objections raised on our proposals for this important site and acknowledge these are valid concerns, and they will be addressed through the planning application process, and through consultation with the public, the council and English Heritage.
“We place great emphasis on ensuring our developments respect local character and enhance the landscape and setting so each development is unique.
“We are confident a scheme can be developed that will respect the landscape and setting of the site, including the Furness Abbey and the park wall.”
Story Homes said the development would provide a range of high quality, large, family housing, which, it said, is in short supply in the area and would help the council achieve its housing requirement.
It said there would be a mixture of detached and semi-detached homes to meet “the increasing demand for executive housing” in Barrow to cater for people employed in “professional” and “managerial” posts who do not already live in the borough.
The firm said the development would secure and create jobs locally, directly and indirectly.
First published at 14:52, Thursday, 06 March 2014
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
- Success brewing as Hardknott signs prestigious high street deal
- £7,500 pledge to help make Millom ‘danger’ park fit for purpose
- Hundreds lap up Millom Infant School summer entertainment
- Millom Post Office will be closed for up to three weeks during revamp
- Residents of flood-risk Millom set to get emergency plan
- Warning to DIY rat killers in South Cumbria
- PHOTOS: Festival atmosphere marks end of busy year for Barrow college
- Call for CCTV cameras to be installed in Dalton
- Families’ plight as Barrow Foodbank sees numbers soar by a third
- Hundreds want to leave cash-strapped Cumbria authority
- Barrow Raiders show true grit to defeat Newcastle Thunder
- Millom CC blow leaders Dalton away
- Barrow CC pro is star with bat and ball
- Barrow Raiders score thrilling win over Newcastle Thunder - with video highlights (3 comments)
- Wins for Askam and Millom in National Conference
- RAIDERS REVIEW: Time for Barrow Raiders to step it up
- RAIDERS REVIEW: Time to silence Thunder
- Barrow Raiders score thrilling win over Newcastle Thunder
- Moffatt's Royal day at Cartmel: with picture gallery
- Barrow Raiders told to steal Newcastle's Thunder
- WEDDING ALBUM: Sharna Forsyth and James Tyson
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Venice
- FOOD REVIEW: Punchbowl, Crosthwaite
- Time to forge better deal within the EU
- FOOD REVIEW: The Crown, North Scale, Walney
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Bali
- Toddler fights back from heart surgery
- Garden no safe place for birds
- WEDDING ALBUM: Gemma Jones and Craig Brown
- Let’s unite and take on fight together