Devastated Barrow mum says she can now grieve as her son's killer is jailed
Last updated at 13:42, Sunday, 22 June 2014
THE devastated mum of a murdered 23-year-old has said she and her family can now rest after his brutal killer has been brought to justice.
Jill Hollingsworth, the former manager of the Furness Railway in Barrow, said the thing that upset her the most was Jamie Armstrong’s lack of remorse, even when he was found guilty.
She said she could now finally grieve for her son.
The 21-year-old killer of Barrow man Luke Hollingsworth was sentenced to life imprisonment with a minimum term of 25 years in jail yesterday.
The young dad was found guilty of murdering his friend in a brutal knife attack that followed a furious row over drugs and money.
Speaking at the sentencing, Judge Paul Batty QC said: “You have not shown a tinge of regret, not a flicker of remorse as you cynically lied before this Carlisle jury over the last three weeks.”
The judge spoke of the horrible, protracted nature of the attack on Mr Hollingsworth as he fled for his life.
The court had heard Mr Hollingsworth’s girlfriend found his body in the blood-splattered bathroom of his home in Etterby Lea Road, Stanwix, on July 10 last year.
He had suffered catastrophic knife wounds to his back, eye and head.
Armstrong was lying on the floor nearby and insisted the murder was the work of two masked, glove-wearing intruders he could not name.
Speaking after the sentence Mrs Hollingsworth said: “This has had a devastating effect on my family and me. I can now rest with the thought that Jamie Armstrong has been brought to justice for the brutal murder of my much-loved son, Luke.
“During this trial the thing that has upset me most is the fact that Jamie Armstrong at no time showed any remorse, even when he was found guilty.
“As a result of all the hard work of the police and Crown Prosecution Service, who brought the prosecution together, Jamie Armstrong was found guilty.
“I now have some closure and can go and grieve for my son.”
First published at 13:39, Sunday, 22 June 2014
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Visit our websites for...
- Mother of tasered Barrow bodybuilder Dale Burns leads calls for ban
- Barrow pair admitted to stealing items from Oxfam charity collection (2 comments)
- Charity shop opens in Barrow to support families of war heroes
- Bradley Wiggins set to bring team to Barrow (1 comment)
- X Factor star surprises young Barrow fans (1 comment)
- Ulverston man found dead in layby (1 comment)
- UPDATE: South Cumbria woman killed in crash (16 comments)
- Barrow store to sell off stock in closing down sale (9 comments)
- Pub chain’s £3.5m hotel bid for Barrow granted (11 comments)
- Barrow paedophile trio sentenced
Choosing a secondary school
Homes and Gardens
Post 16 education
A new year - a new you
Light up a life
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|