Design will be focal point of prestigious Barrow bike event
Last updated at 15:18, Tuesday, 01 April 2014
BUDDING young artists are being given the chance to design a piece of history which will be a focal point of the major cycling event coming to Barrow.
Barrow is the only venue in the North West to host a prestigious Pearl Izumi Tour Series event this year.
A section of central Barrow will be shut off to form a track for some of the world’s top cyclists, who will race from 7pm on May 15.
Just like any race, the organisers need a flag to signal the winner as they cross the finish line. And that’s where the kids of Furness come in.
Together with the Furness Building Society, the Evening Mail is asking for children to design their very own flag. The winning entry will be made into the official, full-size flag used on the night, giving a lucky winner the unique opportunity to have their creation seen by thousands of spectators at the event and by a huge viewing audience on ITV4.
Your design should have a cycling theme and include the logo of the sponsor, the Furness Building Society. It should be bright and clear so it can be seen from a distance and the winner will even get to keep the flag after the big day.
Martin Cutbill, Furness Building Society sales and marketing director, said: “The Furness is delighted to be involved with this great event and we are looking forward to seeing some very creative designs for the Pearl Izumi winning line flag competition.
“This is a fantastic opportunity to get involved in this prestigious cycling event which we are lucky to have visiting us here in Barrow.
“Cycling is something that the staff at the Furness have a keen interest in as we also sponsor the Tour de Furness event and even enter a team.
“So, get your thinking caps on, get creative and show us what you can do – you might just see your winning design as the official winning line flag at the finish line. Good luck!”
Frank Stretton, the Evening Mail commercial director, said: “It’s really exciting news that this event is coming to Barrow and even more exciting that our young people have this unique opportunity to design the flag that will be used on such a prestigious occasion.
“It will be an honour and a privilege for the winning child and we look forward to seeing everyone’s entries.”
Entries are now being taken and the deadline is 5pm on April 9. They can be submitted on the official template sheet or a plain sheet of paper.
Entries should be handed in to the reception at the Evening Mail office in Abbey Road, Barrow, or posted to the office, at Evening Mail, Abbey Road, Barrow, LA14 5QS.
First published at 15:16, Tuesday, 01 April 2014
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
- Unexplained death in Windermere investigated by police
- Cumbria weather warnings on 'hottest day of the year'
- Car ends up on its side in Ulverston crash
- A590 path repair project announced
- Generous family brings cheer to Barrow school targetted by vandals
- Organisations will be Hitting the Headlines after training event
- Day of personal triumphs and achievements at Energy for Life Walney Family Fun Run
- Well done to all who took part in the Energy for Life Walney Family Fun Run
- BMX stolen in Ulverston
- Power tools and bike stolen in Millom burglary
- Half-term report - foundations in place for Barrow Raiders success
- Barrow boxing coach out to prove he's a charity warrior
- Dalton RL prospect leads Italian job
- Barrow AFC line up keeper deal
- Pete Wilson - spare us the Ashes sledging
- Crarey hails Raiders' defensive qualities
- Edmo thrilled Simon remains part of his Grand Barrow plan
- Winger exits Barrow AFC
- Askam ace Jake fulfils England goal
- Treasured Barrow booklets returned......45 years later
- WEDDING ALBUM: Sharna Forsyth and James Tyson
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Venice
- FOOD REVIEW: Punchbowl, Crosthwaite
- Time to forge better deal within the EU
- FOOD REVIEW: The Crown, North Scale, Walney
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Bali
- Toddler fights back from heart surgery
- Garden no safe place for birds
- WEDDING ALBUM: Gemma Jones and Craig Brown
- Let’s unite and take on fight together
Visit our websites for...
F. Dickinson footwear
Homes and gardens 22
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|