X

Cookies

Continue We want you to get the most out of using this website, which is why we and our partners use cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to receive these cookies. You can find out more about how we use cookies here.

Friday, 01 August 2014

Subscriptions  |  evouchers  |  Jobs  |  Property  |  Motors  |  Travel  |  Dating  |  Family Notices

Decision to discharge Millom killer defended by trust

THE NHS has defended its decision to discharge a suicidal killer from hospital two days before he axed his mum and sister to death.

John Jenkin photo
John Jenkin

John Jenkin, 24, is due to be sentenced on March 20 at Preston Crown Court after pleading guilty on Tuesday to two counts of manslaughter.

Jenkin had being facing murder charges after killing Alice McMeekin, 58, and Katie Jenkin, 20, at the family home in Newton Street, Millom, on June 8 last year. He also killed the pet border collie.

However, the charges were reduced to manslaughter on the grounds of diminished responsibility after he was diagnosed with schizoaffective disorder by psychiatrists.

Jenkin had attempted suicide on June 6 by taking co-codamol and two LSD tablets and by drinking whisky and trying to drown himself in the Duddon Estuary near Port Millom. When that failed he tried to slash his wrists with pieces of broken seashell.

After he was spotted by two witnesses, police were called and he was taken to Dane Garth mental health unit in the grounds of Furness General Hospital, Barrow. After an hour and a half assessment by a psychiatric nurse, he was found to be of medium risk of “grandiosity and worthlessness” and of medium risk of misusing drugs.

Yesterday Cumbria Partnership NHS Foundation Trust, which runs Dane Garth, said: “We can confirm prior to the incident occurring John Jenkin was seen by our liaison service.

“The assessment conducted was thorough and steps taken were appropriate to the assessed needs at that time.”

Cumbria police said a “domestic homicide review” is under way, with input from all agencies involved in the case, and is due to be completed in the next few months.

The trust said: “We have conducted an internal review and will contribute to the domestic homicide review to ensure all agencies learn what lessons they can from this very tragic case.”

Councillor Fee Wilson, Millom Town Council’s representative on Cumbria NHS Clinical Commissioning Group, said: “There remain serious questions to be answered about this case.

“Grave concerns have been expressed by the council and we would hope a thorough review takes place.

“I don’t want to see blame. What everybody would like to see is how a tragedy like this can be avoided in the future.

“My thoughts are with the family of Alice and Katie; I’m sure they are experiencing ongoing distress over what happened.”

Before Jenkin is sentenced the court will hear from psychiatrists who examined Jenkin and Mr Tony Cross QC, prosecuting.

SHARE THIS ARTICLE

North West Evening Mail What's on search










Powered by
nwemail.co.uk/jobs

Hot Jobs

Loading latest hot jobs...
Powered by Zoopla.co.uk






Featured companies

Searching for featured companies...
Search for:

Vote

Have centenary events made you more aware of the First World War?

Yes

No

Show Result


Go green 33

Going digital

Homes and gardens

Ulverston Carnival


To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code

North West Evening Mail

Evening Mail Going Out